Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

bumper height laws-where measure from?

Old 10-29-2008, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bumper height laws-where measure from?

In Illinois I am allowed 27 in front and 29 in back. The law reads from the ground to the highest part of the bumper. Also reads if you do not have stock bumpers you then measure to the bottom of the frame rails. In the back I measure 27 to the bottom of the frame rails. In the front I measure 28 1/8 to the bottom of the frame rails. My question is will the police measure from the bottom of the frame rails in the front or is the blocker beam on the bottom considered part of the frame.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:36 AM
JK Freak

They will probably measure to the bottom of the frame rail. Just weld a 2" block to the both the front frame rails and then when they measure to them you will be ok.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is a good idea I was thinking that is what I needed to do just to be sure I was ok.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default enforcement?

do they really enforce that kinda BS up yonder where ya'll stay? We got laws down here bout that kinda shit too but they never enforce it. course they might if'n u wuz to give em half a reason. like come down here with that yankee accent of yours, signing battle hymn of the republic or sum such sheeeeeiiiiiittttt
Old 10-30-2008, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hawgrider1200
do they really enforce that kinda BS up yonder where ya'll stay? We got laws down here bout that kinda shit too but they never enforce it. course they might if'n u wuz to give em half a reason. like come down here with that yankee accent of yours, signing battle hymn of the republic or sum such sheeeeeiiiiiittttt
Most of the local police will not bother with it unless you are just being a jerk. Sometimes the state police will mess with vehicle code violations though.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:09 PM
JK Freak

How does a ticket like that work? Cost more the further you are from the legal height or is it all the same price if your over?
LMAO land of the free. You have to wear seatbelts in car, you have to wear helmet on motorcycle, your 4x4 can only be x" tall. There are so many bullshit laws on the books, it's not funny.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:22 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Choppus
...LMAO land of the free. You have to wear seatbelts in car, you have to wear helmet on motorcycle, your 4x4 can only be x" tall. There are so many bullshit laws on the books, it's not funny.
We haven't been free for a long, long time. We gave that up for a safer civilization. And as we all know those laws snowball into more and more laws.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These laws only apply if your vehicle is registered in that state right?

Just wondering if I am going to have to research these items prior to taking a road trip.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default freedom

Originally Posted by tgrt
We haven't been free for a long, long time. We gave that up for a safer civilization. And as we all know those laws snowball into more and more laws.

ain't been free since 1865
Old 10-31-2008, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Littlejon
These laws only apply if your vehicle is registered in that state right?

Just wondering if I am going to have to research these items prior to taking a road trip.
no, as with most laws they will enforce sumtimes just to get ur money. oh, BTW they can't extridite for a misdemenor

Quick Reply: bumper height laws-where measure from?