Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Bumper Thread vent session....

Old 04-18-2007, 10:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Yes, it will allow the tires to throw debris further out in front of the Jeep, which would translate into more that could blow up onto the fenders (possibly the hood as well i suppose). How much more? i really cant say with certainty, but i believe that would be related to your speed as well. Faster through the muck, more blowing around in front of you, etc. etc.

A friend of mine here at work has an '04 with a stubby, he drives about twice as far as i do to work, his doesnt appear to get any more or less dirty than mine does though.
Crap.....now i've got to rethink my bumper decision again
Old 04-18-2007, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the purejeep stubby w/winch plate. Another solution is to find a fab guy to custom build you one, I'm sure it'll cost less or atleast it should.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pure jeep for me. Front and rear when they get it done. Price isn't too bad for what they are.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jkmon
I like the purejeep stubby w/winch plate. Another solution is to find a fab guy to custom build you one, I'm sure it'll cost less or atleast it should.
That's funny.

You may get the 2x6 square tube bumper with some tapered ends cheaper, but not something like the AEV or FABFOURS bumper. Anyone who has the skills to one off a bumper of that quality is not going to do it on the cheap. (Relatives & room mates not included.)
Old 04-18-2007, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default NEW: JK Boa Front Bumper

Really want to retain my foglights, and looks like the Shrockrocks set up doesn't have integrated fog lamp housing as someone mentioned which is key to me..... we need more options!

call it FUGLY but would like to see some pics installed on jeeps, but this bumper (price weighing in on the rating scale here) is interesting.. not saying nice, I am saying interesting....

anyone have pics of this on a jeep? : JK Boa Front Bumper

What I dont want is a rust bucket bumper, I had a grizzly bumper or was it a smitty built, one of those and the thing lasted 1 year before the black finish was peeling and it was a mess..... maybe the same with this piece?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...2C12116.205.07

You can get the front and rear for less then just the front of an AEV and can get the front and rear for 1/2 the price of a Fabfour.... and believe 1/7nth the install time... If I ever went this path I would paint it the same color as the interior of my Jeep Hulk Commander rims, that dark grey color... or just keep it black!

Originally Posted by mickfluff
I mean come on, can no one design a nice looking bumper that sells for a fair price that is not a complete nightmare to install? Ok some maybe able to respond with bumbers that are just OK that they may have purchased but none that I believe look good like the AEV and the Fabfour without the massive sticker price and install head aches.......

here is my issue....
IMO I love the AEV bumper and although the initial price is a bit on the high side it is still in a range I would pay.... but add shipping costs, install costs (please no comments about installing myself, just not my thing and have heard guys that wrench took two days to install this puppy with welding, grinding, crush can head aches), taxes on the purchase and the latest news the front winch insert plate costs.... I have no plans to run a winch which leaves and open gap in the front of the AEV bumper so they will sell you a front plate for I believe $100+ to fill in the space. The purchase price, shipping costs, plate cost, install costs, taxes etc just makes it a tough nut to swallow here...Not sure about install on the Fabfour but that bumper will have the same or more shipping costs, install costs as well plus an initial price that is much higher then the AEV...

Anyway, can some one for the love of god come out with a decent front bumper, that looks nice, functional, that is not a nightmare to install and not going to put buyers in the poor house.... anyone have any leads on other bumper options on the way, anything worth holding out for? thanks everyone...

I have seen some nice stubby options out there that look functional as heck but not the look I like.....

Last edited by mickfluff; 04-18-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Really want to retain my foglights, and looks like the Shrockrocks set up doesn't have integrated fog lamp housing as someone mentioned which is key to me..... we need more options!

call it FUGLY but would like to see some pics installed on jeeps, but this bumper (price weighing in on the rating scale here) is interesting.. not saying nice, I am saying interesting....

anyone have pics of this on a jeep? : JK Boa Front Bumper

What I dont want is a rust bucket bumper, I had a grizzly bumper or was it a smitty built, one of those and the thing lasted 1 year before the black finish was peeling and it was a mess..... maybe the same with this piece?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...2C12116.205.07

You can get the front and rear for less then just the front of an AEV and can get the front and rear for 1/2 the price of a Fabfour.... and believe 1/7nth the install time... If I ever went this path I would paint it the same color as the interior of my Jeep Hulk Commander rims, that dark grey color... or just keep it black!
Said it yesterday about the stock European JK bumper and I'll say it again about this one......DAMN IS THAT UGLY Also, I've seen a bunch of other pictures in the quadratec catalog and its not any better from other angles. Finally, someone on another thread commented that Olympic products were not that great (no elaboration, just not that great).
Old 04-18-2007, 11:28 AM
JK Newbie

I agree with 07JKX. I like mine the way it is. But it's true, some of these aftermarket bumper prices are getting pretty ridiculous.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default thanks....

yeah I can't say its pretty and if its poor quality and going to rust out and bubble in the new enagldn weather in a year I would not even consider....

I want the AEV but just so many things holding me back! The hard and lengthy install stories being the last straw..... but never know I could waffle and just buy it and pay out the nose for the install....

thanks for the note back...

Originally Posted by skibum
Said it yesterday about the stock European JK bumper and I'll say it again about this one......DAMN IS THAT UGLY Also, I've seen a bunch of other pictures in the quadratec catalog and its not any better from other angles. Finally, someone on another thread commented that Olympic products were not that great (no elaboration, just not that great).
Old 04-18-2007, 12:22 PM
JK Freak

What happens with the airbag sensors when you put an aftermarket bumper on?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by redWRANGLER
What happens with the airbag sensors when you put an aftermarket bumper on?
It causes the airbags to deploy. Make sure there's no one in the vehicle while you do the work. Then carefully fold them back up and duct tape the lid shut

Quick Reply: Bumper Thread vent session....