Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Buy a JK or upgrade my TJ?

Old 12-17-2009, 08:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have very well built 2000 TJ and an 07 Unlimited, and have had many other Jeeps. Trust me you'll want a JK.
Why don't you test drive one at a local dealer.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
honestly, i would go for it. i loved my 2000 tj but after wheeling a jk, there really is no comparison. needless to say, i recently sold this beloved and built up tj of 10 years with 6" long arm kit, locked front and rear and 37" tires and bought a 2nd jk. trust me, a stock jk will out-wheel a moderatly modified tj anyday of the week.
I didn't realize that's how you were able to get lil' nemo. Pretty cool! But that TJ was also very cool too.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:29 PM
JK Junkie

I'll be honest.. If I didn't have a TJ i'll probably never get a JK

I love my TJ and love how you can see everything.. and it feels like a real Jeep stock!

a JK from the factory drives like a cadillac if you compare it to a TJ or even worse a YJ

no one can really answer your questions because it's self preference!

if your talking about wheeling. then I would say it depends on your setup with either Jeep.. you wouldn't go wrong anyways.

If you want a more civilized vehicle with all the gadgets, get a JK.

if you want to stick to the basics and want cheap mods.. get a TJ.

again it really depends on you..

and like some said, If you haven't test drove one yet.. you should probably do that to get an Idea.

Finally, our Jeep break too. and we fix them, so your General problem is still valid on both Jeeps

Good luck
Old 12-17-2009, 11:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yellowbull
I think the number one reason why I haven't made the plunge is the engine. Why we cant get a HEMI option is beyond me......

For all you guys with 37's and new gears are you happy with the power?

D
I will be the last one to defend 3.8L in the JK, but the 4.0L that's been around since the YJ is absolutely nothing to write home about.

All I can say it was sufficient and so is the 3.8, just like every other engine ever put in a Jeep (Wrangler, CJ, MB)

If you figure out why we can't have a HEMI, it will at least help me cope

Originally Posted by saltman
Yeah. Not that I have as much as you... but I have plenty enough to comment. I've had 4 TJs, 1 LJ and 2 JKs. Currently have an 06LJ Rubi and an 09JK Rubi. The LJ will walk all over the JK.

It's an open ended statement that doesn't make any sense. Modified how??? 21" coilovers with 37s vs a stock JK?? come on now.

edit. ok. you said moderately modified. I still disagree. A TJ rubi on 35s will out crawl a stock JK on the terrain here an day of the week. IMO a stock LJ rubi will out crawl a stock JK rubi also.
I could see the LJ out crawling a JK in certain types of terrain (rocks), but many of do not crawl on or off road. This advantage will diminish as the obstacles become larger.

And as speed increases the JK will out perform the LJ, TJ and its cousin; it's the simple laws of physics.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default I vote JK...

I had an YJ and an 08 before I went to my JK. I absolutely LOVE it. It is such a better all around vehicle. Now as far as the off road comparison goes, I have very little experience with that, but everytime I have went on rides I have heard people with both models talk about how well an almost stock JK does off road. Even when they were driving something with a lot of mods. I also don't care what anyone says, it's nice having a little smoother ride and a few creature comforts. It still doesn't ride like a car.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll ponder a little longer before I make a decision..... I guess it comes down to want's and need's.....

D
Old 12-19-2009, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

One of my buddies was going to get a JK untill he found out it did not have the head clearance that a TJ has. He hits his head in the JK and and does not in the TJ, so if you are tall consider this also. By the way he is 6' 7", so i am sure this does not apply to people shorter than this.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by yellowbull
I've been on this site for a couple years now trying to keep educated with the JK's. How people are building them etc. etc....... But,

I've still got a 2000 TJ currently. It's got about 108,000 miles. This last year it seems like a lot of little things have been going wrong.... Right now one of my sway bar links is bad... The front end is so loose it's kind of scary to drive. My main seal is leaking, etc...... I've been considering upgrading to a long-arm lift and maybe eventually putting a V8 in.

So, my question is, should I spend the money and upgrade the TJ or buy a JK and start over. The reason I havent bought the JK yet is my concern with the economy. I was laid off last year for 6 months, but I have my old job back and make pretty good money.... What would you do? Is life to short, Should I go for it?

Dave
I have a JK Rubicon Unlimited and the only thing that I really have a problem with is the 3.8L Mini Van motor. It does ok and I am not asking for balls to the wall power, but going on I-70 over the Eisenhower Tunnel it is a serious dog! I think that you might want to test drive a JK to make your determination. I think that I would slowly build up your TJ - the problems you have with it seem minor and would not cost much to fix compared to buying a new JK. I just read the latest MOPAR Magazine (Nov-Dec) and in it there was an article about crate motor's, specifically the 4.7L I6 Jeep Stroker - Mopar P/N: P5155210. You are not going to find anything for getting more horsepower out of the 3.8L - except for a supercharger (lots of cash for that). I am looking at putting a 5.7L Hemi in my JK - even though I will be doing it myself it will still cost quite a bit of cash - I can't afford to pay for it in one chunk and am slowly building up my parts for doing it sometime next year TJ's are great rigs and I would never knock that awesome straight six motor - rock on bro!!

Last edited by pdiddyblum; 12-19-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:47 PM
JK Super Freak

I had a TJ, now have a JK. Love my JK. If there was anything I would've done different I would've gotten stick over auto, simply because of the power ratio a stick offers -- would help out alot in this mountaineous terrain I live in.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:36 AM
JK Freak

JK all the way.... it really is the TJ + 10 years of evolution

Quick Reply: Buy a JK or upgrade my TJ?