Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Buy the YJ or not buy the YJ?

Old 01-03-2012, 07:58 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the input & advice guys!

I don't care too much about the fuel economy, so an Altima or Honda won't work for me. I only drive Jeeps
All kidding aside, if I'm to spend the $$$ it'll be on a wrangler... and solely for the purpose of keeping miles off the JK and personal enjoyment.

Every model has its own quirks and problems, which is expected. The 87 isn't my ideal... I'd rather have an early to mid nineties fuel-injected model, but I found this really clean 87 YJ and already negotiated down to $3K.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRedJK
Thanks for the input & advice guys!

I don't care too much about the fuel economy, so an Altima or Honda won't work for me. I only drive Jeeps
All kidding aside, if I'm to spend the $$$ it'll be on a wrangler... and solely for the purpose of keeping miles off the JK and personal enjoyment.

Every model has its own quirks and problems, which is expected. The 87 isn't my ideal... I'd rather have an early to mid nineties fuel-injected model, but I found this really clean 87 YJ and already negotiated down to $3K.
It sounds like you've pretty much got your mind made up, my friend. I say go for it!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:21 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by brandonmike07

It sounds like you've pretty much got your mind made up, my friend. I say go for it!
Hahaha yeah kinda!

I just have reservations because it's an 87, the first year the YJ was introduced, and while this YJ looks sound, you never know how it's really been treated & I don't want to get stuck with a POS that won't get me where I need to go. Like some of the guys here have said, I have to watch out for a lot of things on this model year specifically.

I'd probably feel better if it was say a '94 (my bro has one and I'm familiar with it), but I guess if everything works as it should I shouldn't sweat it. I'm wondering if I should keep looking for a later model and invest a lil more $$$, but hard to turn down for $3K... and leaves me with enough cash to "fix" any unseen issues in the future w/o hopefully breaking the bank.

Last edited by TURTLECON; 01-03-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, if worse comes to worse, an older chevrolet v8 is about as easy of a swap as they get. And you can get parts for them at walmart. If it's a solid chassis/body, that alone is worth $3K. Another plus to the older Wranglers is aftermarket parts are usually lower than half of the cost of similar parts for the JK.
Send us some pics when you get it.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Get the YJ! I had a 94 YJ and sold it last year for a 2010 JK and I'm regretting everything about it.
I enjoyed my YJ so much more and plus got better milage.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:40 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by SpoonJK
Get the YJ! I had a 94 YJ and sold it last year for a 2010 JK and I'm regretting everything about it.
I enjoyed my YJ so much more and plus got better milage.
My bro has a 94... I love it. He won't sell it to me either! LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2263359971.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	258471
Old 01-04-2012, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I kept my 93 YJ when I got my JKU. I honestly didn't think it was worth as much as it is, but I never thought of trading it in. I love having it, its fun to drive. Working on it is simple, but then I only put about 4k miles on it a year, if that. Not a typical choice for a commuter car, but when you wanna Jeep and know what your getting into, well $3K is pretty cheap these days for anything with a bit of style. I had an '88 YJ, and yes, the carburator sucks.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:38 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ylojelo
I kept my 93 YJ when I got my JKU. I honestly didn't think it was worth as much as it is, but I never thought of trading it in. I love having it, its fun to drive. Working on it is simple, but then I only put about 4k miles on it a year, if that. Not a typical choice for a commuter car, but when you wanna Jeep and know what your getting into, well $3K is pretty cheap these days for anything with a bit of style. I had an '88 YJ, and yes, the carburator sucks.
Pretty much same thinking here... do you think I should try to find a fuel-inj model?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Buy it. 2 jeeps are better then one
Old 01-04-2012, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigRedJK
Pretty much same thinking here... do you think I should try to find a fuel-inj model?
well, I did, but thats the one I got a deal on. The '87 carburator will give you something to play with, and then you have the first model year YJ, with the fastback rollbars.

Quick Reply: Buy the YJ or not buy the YJ?