Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Buying a jeep, sahara or rubicon?

Old 02-20-2007, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a jeep, sahara or rubicon?

Friday im going to sign my life away to a Jk, my first jeep...

Im going to lift it 2 or 3 inchs and put 35's on it. I plan to take it on tails but nothing to crazy...

Do you guys think i really need or should push for the rubicon or can i get by and enjoy my sahara?

Also, should i go for the power windows and doors? Or are they having to many first year problems to be worth it?

As of now im thinking sahara, 6 speed, 4.10s, dana 44, towing package, power windows, freedom top, side air bags, command trac... thats about it

thanks
Old 02-20-2007, 10:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mlbplayer86

Im going to lift it 2 or 3 inchs and put 35's on it. I plan to take it on tails but nothing to crazy...

Do you guys think i really need or should push for the rubicon or can i get by and enjoy my sahara?

Also, should i go for the power windows and doors? Or are they having to many first year problems to be worth it?

thanks
Get the power windows on whatever you get, it's the first time ever available on Wrangler. I've had several jeeps without and so glad in is now an option.

It sounds like you would do fine with a Sahara...especially if you want to find one with color/options you are looking for. The Unlimited Rubicons are much harder to find. Besides, the Sahara is very capable for light/moderate trails with a smaller lift and 35s. See the OffRoad Evolution pictures.

I got a Sahara mostly because of availability and price. I eventually will be doing more extreme trails as I have with my TJ and I'm sure that with the amount I would have spent on the Rubi I can equip my Sahara to do all the same things at a similar price( I just may have to actually get out of my Jeep to disconnect the front sway bar )
Old 02-20-2007, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

lol, yes the electronic disconect is a prety sweet deal
Old 02-20-2007, 10:23 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mlbplayer86

As of now im thinking sahara, 6 speed, 4.10s, dana 44, towing package, power windows, freedom top, side air bags, command trac... thats about it

thanks
I ended up buying a Sahara, because I will rarely, if ever, be on trails severe enough to need all that extra off-road hardware. Having said that, I also haven't gotten it yet...

However, do a search for posts from 2k2wrangerx... he's a proud owner that's posted some pretty awesome pics of what an X 4-door can do with a reasonable lift and some good tires - reassuring stuff. See:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2537

All in all, the Sahara will be fine for most, and the Rubicon is a great rig for those of us that are REALLY hardcore off-roaders, but may be overkill for the occasional trail rider... Just my $.02.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:31 AM
JK Super Freak

I figure, once I get to 35" tires or above, I need/want to regear which means someone is going to be digging around both diffs and at that time I will pick whichever lockers I want. Anyone who buys a Rubicon will have to pay the same amount minus cost of lockers(maybe $1200 for Detroit rear and ARB front) I know, I know, by the time I get to lockers my factory warranty should be nearly gone so that is not of concern to me.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

hmm good point... where in sacramento are you from kidjeep? Thats where im really from... the military moved me to washington lol
Old 02-20-2007, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

I run backroads and trails in the ozark national forest. They vary from pretty darn good to impassible. Time of the year is also a factor due to mud and streams that sometimes rise to impassable. I got around pretty good with my ol' 94 yk. I recently purchased a new rubicon. I didn't have much to choose from but thought I'd like the toys that came with the rubicon. I don't regret my decision in the least. This last weekend I was on a trail not traveled by anyone recently. Snaked down a very muddy trail downhill, crossed several creeks, a portion of a washed out road, a couple of gravel bars, and a tree that had the misfortune of falling across the trail. Pure fun.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say get the Saraha for what you are doing and great point on the lockers/gears. I'll probably do the same as I'm about ready to put on gears or smaller tires now. It is not terrible with 35's and 4:10's on the highway, but it is not great either... Went wheeling this weekend and was amazed at the capability now, first real time out since the 35's and 3". There were a few trail rigs out there with much larger lifts/tires and I had no problem in areas where I thought I might. Very satisfied with my decision and I like the painted fenders! More paint to scratch! Wait, is that a good thing...??
Old 02-20-2007, 05:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're looking to save alittle money by going with the Sahara, why not go with an X? An X is equally as capable as a Sahara right off of the lot and still a couple of thousand $ cheaper. The only things you can get on the Sahara that aren't available on the X are khaki top, "Yes" seats, 18" wheels, and painted flares.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:01 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Renegade
The only things you can get on the Sahara that aren't available on the X are khaki top, "Yes" seats, 18" wheels, and painted flares.
Hey, you forgot the really ultra-cool beige colored sand dune decal.

Quick Reply: Buying a jeep, sahara or rubicon?