Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Buying a JK...what to get??

Old 03-31-2009, 04:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently went through a similar decision making process and wound up with an X with the Trac-Lock and 3.73.

Jeep does regular Wranglers a disservice with all of its promotion of the Rubicon. You'd think a non-Rubi Wrangler is chopped liver, but that's very incorrect. Even non-Rubi Wranglers are some of the most capable off-road machines you can buy on a showroom floor. Think long and hard about whether you'll really take your new rig across the kind of stuff you need a Rubi for -- stuff that will bang it up pretty good.

I concluded that, at the end of the day, I really wasn't that interested in the hard core stuff. For me, it was more about getting a trail rig that would take me interesting places for camping and backpacking, and would have enough excess capability to get out of some rough spots if the need arose.

I've got nothing but respect for the hard core among us. But at the end of the day, I decided I wasn't one of them. YMMV.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
I recently went through a similar decision making process and wound up with an X with the Trac-Lock and 3.73.

Jeep does regular Wranglers a disservice with all of its promotion of the Rubicon. You'd think a non-Rubi Wrangler is chopped liver, but that's very incorrect. Even non-Rubi Wranglers are some of the most capable off-road machines you can buy on a showroom floor. Think long and hard about whether you'll really take your new rig across the kind of stuff you need a Rubi for -- stuff that will bang it up pretty good.

I concluded that, at the end of the day, I really wasn't that interested in the hard core stuff. For me, it was more about getting a trail rig that would take me interesting places for camping and backpacking, and would have enough excess capability to get out of some rough spots if the need arose.

I've got nothing but respect for the hard core among us. But at the end of the day, I decided I wasn't one of them. YMMV.
Great insight!!

Quick Reply: Buying a JK...what to get??