Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Can I get a ticket in MD for the mirror law if my Jeep is registered out of state?

Old 08-09-2009, 01:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I get a ticket in MD for the mirror law if my Jeep is registered out of state?

Hey guys, I'm sure this answer is out there somewhere but I'm on my phone (only internet here) so please bear with me.

I'm on vacation in Ocean City MD, I live in FL where I only need a rear view mirror. Since my Jeep is registered in another state can I still be issued a full blown ticket for not having a side view mirror?

Obviously I could just get a magnetic mirror just to be safe but I would really prefer not to spend the money.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:20 PM
JK Junkie

Theoretically, ignorance of the law is no excuse. A vehicle must meet state requirements when travelling. Things required to pass inspection and things required to drove are not always the same though. You could be issued a ticket, but most officers would let you slide.
Not wearing a helmet on your motorcycle while in a state that requires it however....a different story.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

as someone that has taught driver's ed, we were always told that the "A" answer is to check the rules of the road for the states that you'll be traveling in. When your vehicle is traveling in their state it must conform to their laws or you can be ticketed. Basically your choice is to comply with their laws, don't go there, or don't be suprised if you get a ticket. Most states only require a driver side and rear view mirror. hope that helps.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:04 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by AlmightyCrash
Theoretically, ignorance of the law is no excuse. A vehicle must meet state requirements when travelling. Things required to pass inspection and things required to drove are not always the same though. You could be issued a ticket, but most officers would let you slide.
Not wearing a helmet on your motorcycle while in a state that requires it however....a different story.
Originally Posted by cucmd1
as someone that has taught driver's ed, we were always told that the "A" answer is to check the rules of the road for the states that you'll be traveling in. When your vehicle is traveling in their state it must conform to their laws or you can be ticketed. Basically your choice is to comply with their laws, don't go there, or don't be suprised if you get a ticket. Most states only require a driver side and rear view mirror. hope that helps.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Roger that, thanks for the advice guys.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

i would think law enforcement can give you any ticket they want. that is why we have courts. being on vacation though, i would end up just paying the fine instead of going to court to fight it.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

What's cheaper, the mirror mount or risking getting a ticket? Hell I'm so used to having a mirror, drives me nuts when it's not there...So I'd rather have the mirror and feel safer knowing what's around me, without having to hang my head out the side all the time.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bubba2u
i would think law enforcement can give you any ticket they want. that is why we have courts. being on vacation though, i would end up just paying the fine instead of going to court to fight it.
And, thus, the reason why cops like to target out-of-towners.
The chances of someone driving back to go to court are slim.
I know this to be true, because I used to live in a "tourist" area.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:24 AM
JK Newbie

Similar to my situation. It is perfectly normal to drive 80-85 mph in southern california. However, when i drive to oklahoma, i do 85 on cruise until......i get in texas. In texas 65 means 65. If you are going 66 it's a fair game for a ticket, and with an out of state registration most likely it would be a ticket.
I think it comes down to reserved power to the state.
They will honor their laws and it would be up to you to prove before a judge that you have not broke the law. Not knowing the law usually doesn't fly.
To be safe, get the magnet mirrors so you don't ruin your vacation.
Once back in FL, throw them back in the box.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just hit up Autozone or something... me and a buddy made a mirror for the driver side for a total cost of $10 it certainly wasnt going to win any beauty contests but it worked great. I really wish I had a picture cause it was pretty funny!

Quick Reply: Can I get a ticket in MD for the mirror law if my Jeep is registered out of state?