Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Can Jeep Make a fuel efficient engine?

Old 04-27-2008, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Jeep Make a fuel efficient engine?

I love the new JK Jeeps. I just cannot believe how poor the mileage is for such a small and low horsepower 6 cylinder. This is not a large and heavy vehicle. Does anyone know if 2009 offers a fuel efficient engine?
Old 04-27-2008, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

i don't think its so much the engine be innefficient as it is the fact that the jeep is a big arse brick. its heavy compared to the fuel efficient cars of today and its not aerodynamic at all. so even in you put an "efficient" motor in it, it would still get bad milage. to be honest, i think the best chance we have at decent milage would be proper gearing and a hemi.... honestly, the hemis with the fuel management thing that cuts out 4 cylinders when cruising would be the way to go. they have enough power to get the box on wheels jeep design rolling without having to really step on the gas, and would cut out 4 cylinders on the freeway... plus it would just be nice to have a hemi .... but i'll keep dreaming til that happens.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Larrysdad
I love the new JK Jeeps. I just cannot believe how poor the mileage is for such a small and low horsepower 6 cylinder. This is not a large and heavy vehicle. Does anyone know if 2009 offers a fuel efficient engine?
Jeep Wranglers are not lightweight vehicles at curb weights hovering around the 4000 pound mark. Combine that with the fact that they are shaped like a brick and have all the aerodynamics of same and frankly it surprises me that we get 17 to 20 mpg with a 200 hp motor. If you think these engines are getting lousy mileage, try the old 4.0 inline six. Now, having said that, I feel your pain. I wish we were getting better mileage. Or better yet I wish we weren't getting gouged so bad at the pump. I really wish we could see the speculators and the oil companies get their come retribution. There's not one good reason for these gas prices. I'd love to see Jeep develop a good hybrid electric Jeep.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

As everyone said aerodynamics are the biggest factor. I also have a '91 firebird w/ the 5.0L v8 throttle body engine(very basic fuel injection) and I get 26-28mpg highway in that car because the drag coefficient is so low and it has 3.08 gears, that it basically idles at 65mph
Old 04-28-2008, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Black08X
There's not one good reason for these gas prices.
I will give you one.....

A very weak US dollar further crippled by a very low interest rate...
Old 04-28-2008, 10:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Qrex
I will give you one.....

Negative, even a couple years ago when the dollar was strong they were still driving the price of crude up. There's always an excuse for it too. Instability in oil producing region, hurricane, dust storm, supply and demand, tight supplies. It's all BS.

Think about it, has anyone here in the last two or three years pulled into a gas station they've said "Sorry pal, we're all out of gasoline, tight supply problems you know." Anyone?

I haven't and I drive a Jeep so you know I see the gas station pretty regularly. But seriously, no gas stations around here have been unable to get gas or run out and not know when they will get more. Now you would think that if supplies are so tight and demand is so high that we need to be paying well north of $3.00 a gallon that there would be a shortage somewhere right?
Only there's not. Everybody can still get gas whenever they want, 24 / 7 --- 365. That's doesn't sound like a supply problem due to high demand to me. More like pure BS excuse to gouge us at the pump.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Qrex
I will give you one.....

As stated, No GOOD Reason.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With a GVRW of 5400 smackers, it AIN'T light. It also certainly isn't the most aerodynamic thing in the world. Since the shape is obvious to a blind man and the weight rating sticker is right on the driver door area, I would say it's painfully obvious those complaining about mileage had their face hangin out when they bought. Shouldda got a Toyota.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:56 AM
JK Super Freak

well what is the concept jeep that get's 100MPG? If that was in the Wrangler it probably get somewhere around 40 MPG with the wieght difference so that being said the answer to your question is yes. They could do it if they had the incentive to do so.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

With a bigger engine it could be possible to get better mileage since it wouldnt have to work as hard to move it. Stick an ls1/ls2 in there with the 'vette's highway gear and see what you get out of it. Though still would probably be only around 22 max haha.

Quick Reply: Can Jeep Make a fuel efficient engine?