Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

car seats in the JK?

Old 06-22-2007, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've got a rear-facing detachable seat outboard on the passenger side. All the literature says that you're supposed to use the middle spot first, but my wife is kind of short and getting the car seat into the base in the middle of the car is almost impossible.

The LATCH system in the JK made it about a million times easier to mount the base than it was in my wife's Subaru Forrester...
Old 06-22-2007, 08:04 AM
JK Junkie

My 16 month old son's seat is sitting it the middle facing forward. I have the latch strap attached to the hooks between the upper and lower seat cushions and the rear vertical strap running over the top to bottom back of the seat, fits and sits perfectly.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKinTN
Anyone have experience with both infant car seats and convertible (front/rear facing) child seats? How do they fit in the back of the unlimited? Any issues being too tight. I have a 2 year old now with one more on the way - we have another SUV for daily driving but don't want something I can't carry them in when needed.

I suspect your 2-year-old is forward facing. The newborn will be in a bucket for a while, as you know, and then into a rear/forward convertible. The LATCH/UAS system is at the outboard position (all three seating positions have anchors). Here's a pic of our set-up... the boys (outboard) are 3, our daughter (middle) is 21 months:

The seats are called Radian 65, by Sunshine Kids; they are rear/forward convertible seats (and they match the interior of my black Sahara!). The three seats easily fit 3 across. The 5-point harness is rated to 65 pounds; after 48 pounds you cannot use the LATCH system (not in Canada, in any event); you have to switch to the shoulder/lap belt to secure the childseat to the bench. The middle seat is always secured with the shoulder/lap belt because, as I said, there is no LATCH for the middle position.

You see? Now you have an excuse to have a third child...
Adam
Old 06-22-2007, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwinsJeep
You see? Now you have an excuse to have a third child...
Adam

Old 06-22-2007, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MossMan
We have two boosters and a rear facing infant seat in our JK on a regular basis. Fits great and with the anchors the infant seat ain't goin no where
This is exactly why we bought our Unlimited. We test drove it with 2 booster seats and a rear facing seat, and the sales guy had no problems helping us load the seats in. It took a little time to get the rear facing seat installed, but the fit was good, and the 2 older children could reach the window switches. My YJ was good with 2 children, the Unlimited is best for 3.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:59 AM
JK Newbie

Anyone having problems getting a convertible child seat to fully seat the base on the JK seat? I am trying to load one front-facing and the base of the child seat wants to sit 2-3 off the front of the JK seat - seems as if the seat back it too upright or the bottom of the seat is too short.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: car seats in the JK?