Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cargo Carriers & Hitch Extenders

Old 01-13-2014, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Cargo Carriers & Hitch Extenders

So, I've been trying to figure out what the maximum weight I can have on my hitch. I just recently bought a cargo carrier that weighs 60 lbs and I also bought a hitch extender so I can fold the carrier up and there is no interference with the spare tire when my gear is off. Since the Jk is rated for a tongue weight of 200 lbs I have also seen posts that the tongue weight can be maximized at 300-350 lbs. Is that true? ALso how much of a percentage down the trailer hitch extender reduce the tongue weight by. I have read 50% and 33% so I am not sure how much weight I should put on the carrier. I will have a snowboard with all the gear in a bag as well as a couple of suitcases. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 01-13-2014, 11:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Not sure what your budget is like, but I spent about $400 and bought a roof rack set up for my boards and I use my basket hitch with extender with my suit cases and gear. My basket and extender was able to handle the weight, but it looked a little sketchy to me cause it isn't stiff , it wiggles cause u have an extra connection point (hitch - extender - basket)
Old 01-13-2014, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one way to help the wiggle is to mount eyelets on the rear rail on each corner of the basket...then use a ratchet strap on each side (eyelet) and attach it to the chain mounts on the hitch. Prevents the wiggles and if the tonge of the basket broke off there is atleast a safety preventing a luggage missile on the highway.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

***tongue***
Old 01-13-2014, 05:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by A'sJK
one way to help the wiggle is to mount eyelets on the rear rail on each corner of the basket...then use a ratchet strap on each side (eyelet) and attach it to the chain mounts on the hitch. Prevents the wiggles and if the tonge of the basket broke off there is atleast a safety preventing a luggage missile on the highway.
ive done something close to that.. I took ratchet straps to the bars coming up from my roof rack (body armor rack)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1310870496.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	523458  
Old 01-13-2014, 05:42 PM
JK Junkie

I recently did the same thing with a motorcycle carrier. The bike weighs 200/250lb so I think you should be able to put at least that much but the stabilizing straps are the way to go for those who worry (like me) about it swaying around back there. I strapped my carrier back to the bumper and ran an "oh shit" strap through the spare tire.

The issue is cheaply fit 2" square tube, sometimes coupled with being thin walled or even just a couple inches of engagement instead of 8-10" to stabilize it.

Good luck with what you choose to do.

Last edited by karls; 01-13-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jeeps tow stuff? i put a drop down hitch on upside down to half ass protect my spare tire when dropping off ledges.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Hauled a buck in my carrier (with hitch extender) that field dressed at least 175#. It was a 200 mile drive home and no problems. I do ratchet strap mine to the safety chain spots like described above.

BTW, if you're worried about not getting enough waves while driving, carry a nice buck in your mud covered jeep and the thumbs up just keep coming... thought one dude with Ohio plates was gonna run me off the road high fiving so much. It's all good

Last edited by bronc; 01-13-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds like a great way to ruin some good meat.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

To answer your question about the extended receiver.... It will decrease the rating by 1/3 I'm not very good at math but I believe a third of 200 is roughly 60 pounds. I work in a shop the specializes in tow vehicles and this is a very common question we get. For the most part hitches are under rated so people don't over load them. Don't worry you'll be fine!!!

Last edited by mark_c; 01-14-2014 at 05:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Cargo Carriers & Hitch Extenders