Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

A case of buyer beware, or dealership error?

Old 03-18-2011, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A case of buyer beware, or dealership error?

Hey people, just want to throw something out there and see what your thoughts are.

Just over a month ago I bought my JK from a local Jeep dealer. When I bought it, it was advertised as having the dual top group. When I test drove it the soft top was still in the factory position inside the vehicle and the two side windows and door surrounds were tucked behind the rear seat. Everything looked brand spanking new. I could tell that the hardtop had never been off the vehicle and the soft top had never been used.

About a week ago I finally got a break in the weather which gave me the opportunity to pull the hardtop off and check for missing soft top parts. The only thing missing is the rear window. When I bought the vehicle, I thought the rear window might have been tucked in the roll of the soft top. After all, the rear window bar is there on the outside of the roll. What did I know? I've never owned a JK before to know how they come packaged from the factory.

When I contacted the dealership I bought the vehicle from, the response I got was, "we'll contact the previous owner and see if they have it laying around. Good luck with that right.

So what are your thoughts on this? Is this a case of buyer beware, or do you think the dealer should pony-up and front me the rear window? I'm not upset over the missing rear window, but if the dealer ever wants my business again, they'll do the right thing.

What are your thoughts?
Old 03-18-2011, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Agreed about trying the sales manager. But this isn't a case of buyer error. If it was advertised as a dual top sale, that means all of both tops. It's the dealerships responsibility to inform you if there are missing parts. To me it sounds like a case of minor fraud. They need to make this right, but it doesn't sound promising. Sorry man, that stinks. Good luck!

Cheers!
Old 03-18-2011, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

The dealership is about an hour and a half away, so it's not easy to just pop in. :( However, when I called today, I did ask to speak to the sales manager. The gentleman I spoke to knew I wasn't upset, but also knew I wanted to speak to someone who could make this right. I didn't ask to speak to the salesman I bought the Jeep from. I had already email him two days ago and never got a response.

I'm not really expecting anything to happen because I haven't been impressed with the dealership since the sale, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Im not thinking fraud

I would be very surprised if the dealer even checked to see if all the parts were there. i just bought a 2011 and the salesman knew jack about jeeps. when traded in my 07 they would have had no idea the front lower control arm was missing if i didn't tell them about it(even after they drove it). I will be surprised if the little "as is" box wasn't checked and you get any recourse from the dealer.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jnjcamp11
I would be very surprised if the dealer even checked to see if all the parts were there. i just bought a 2011 and the salesman knew jack about jeeps. when traded in my 07 they would have had no idea the front lower control arm was missing if i didn't tell them about it(even after they drove it). I will be surprised if the little "as is" box wasn't checked and you get any recourse from the dealer.
That's funny. The dealer told me, and I quote, "we take vehicles in on trade and don't touch them until someone decides to purchase it".

That's scary, isn't it. I've worked on vehicles all of my life so I know how to check a vehicle over before purchasing it, but the average buyer could get highly screwed. When I test drove my JK, there was a frozen water bottle rolling around the back seat and a few of the previous owner's personal items; gloves, matches, papers, etc.

I think a lot of dealers have really stopped putting anything into vehicles that get traded in. BUYER BEWARE!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:26 PM
JK Newbie

It was advertised as having both tops. It should have all of the parts to both. It all depends on how nasty you want to get.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:30 PM
JK Freak

I only got 1 key when I bought my Jeep and the dealer said they would get the 2nd key from the original owner, and sure enough a week later it was in my mailbox. There's hope!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

In my opinion. When ever there's crap in boxes or under a cover I personally want to get it out and see everything before making a deal.

I would try and split the cost. It would be completely cool of them to make such a deal after the sale to keep you happy even though you've already agreed on a car deal. However, they have every right to say no and I would not fault them for that.

Could be much much worse. You learned a lesson. Buying a wrangler is not like buying any other vehicle. The more mods and options, the more things you need to check BEFORE you go to the negotiating table.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyT
In my opinion. When ever there's crap in boxes or under a cover I personally want to get it out and see everything before making a deal.

I would try and split the cost. It would be completely cool of them to make such a deal after the sale to keep you happy even though you've already agreed on a car deal. However, they have every right to say no and I would not fault them for that.

Could be much much worse. You learned a lesson. Buying a wrangler is not like buying any other vehicle. The more mods and options, the more things you need to check BEFORE you go to the negotiating table.
Agreed. When you buy a used vehicle you buy it "AS IS". There's always a "Buyer Beware" when buying a "Used" vehicle. Therefore it's your responsibility to ensure everything is there before you drive it off the lot. That's why you're getting the vehicle at a reduced cost from new....because as a buyer, there is some risk involved in buying a used vehicle. If you want warranty and piece of mind that everything is there and hasn't been abused, then you have to pony up and pay the extra money for a NEW vehicle. You don't buy a USED vehicle and expect you will get the same perks as if you had purchased a new vehicle. That's why there's a sticker on the side of used vehicles that says, "AS IS".

It would be a nice gesture by the dealer if they contributed towards the cost of getting a replacement window, or getting the original from the original owner...but in all honesty they have NO responsibility to do anything. Yes, it sucks that the window is missing, and it sucks that you didn't do a complete soft top inventory of parts before you left the dealer. Take it as a learning experience for the next time.

This isn't a case of "Buyer Beware" or "Dealership error". The dealership advertised the vehicle with the items that the vehicle was originally built with and advertised it as a "Used" vehicle, with an "As IS" sticker in the window. This is a case, of you taking ownership of your own responsibilities of making sure everything is how you expect it to be "before" you sign the paperwork and drive off the lot. Why does everyone want to point blame away from their own responsibilities when ultimately you have the final say in whether you buy the vehicle or not, and you as much time as you need to look at the vehicle.

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-19-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:00 PM
JK Newbie

Same thing happened to me except I was missing all the windows and door surrounds. Called the dealer and they said they would look for them. Waited a week and called again this time he asked me to get a list of exactly what I was missing. Gave it to them the next day with part #s. waited another week. Called back again he told me this time that they found a top and door Surrounds on ebay for less than what all the parts would cost them new and said they would have it shipped to my house if that was ok. Of course that was fine as I bought my jeep used so every thing worked out. I would go back to them anytime. Hope it works out for you.

Quick Reply: A case of buyer beware, or dealership error?