Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Chrysler may file for Chapter 11 by August

Old 06-27-2008, 05:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler may file for Chapter 11 by August

From TTAC: ...We hear rumors that Chrysler will file for Chapter 11 by August, to maintain the option of suing Daimler for selling them a bill of goods.

Get ready for strip and flip... cut and run.

The industry as a whole is tanking.
Remember opec gas crisis of 1973?

I think The wrangler needs a redesign to shed 1000+ lbs and increase MPG by 10 with a 4 banger diesel.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:25 AM
JK Newbie

As long as the redesign does NOT compromise on the ruggedness, I would agree to your idea whole heartedly!!
Old 06-27-2008, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

There was mention of this on the radio this morning. YIKES!
Old 06-27-2008, 05:37 AM
JK Super Freak

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/chr...h-34-end-game/
Old 06-27-2008, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's Chrysler's repsonse....

DETROIT (Reuters) - A spokesman for Chrysler LLC said on Thursday that market rumors of a bankruptcy filing by the privately held automaker were "without merit," saying the company had ample liquidity.

"The rumor is without merit," Chrysler spokesman Dave Elshoff said. "There is no basis for the rumor."

The concern about Chrysler's liquidity position and the rumor of a Chapter 11 filing drove down prices for the automaker's loans on Thursday, according to Reuters LPC.

Fitch Ratings on Wednesday cut ratings for both Chrysler, now controlled by Cerberus Capital Management LP [CBS.UL] and its larger rival General Motors Corp (GM.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz), citing the industrywide downturn in sales.

A spokesman for Cerberus also said there was no truth to the market rumor of a bankruptcy filing.

Liquidity concerns for U.S. automakers have been rising as evidence grows the downturn in sales that began earlier this year accelerated in June in the face of record gas prices and a consumer defection from trucks and SUVs.

Earlier this week, Chrysler drew down a $2 billion credit line from Cerberus and Daimler AG (DAIGn.DE: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz), the German car maker that sold off a roughly 80 percent stake in Chrysler to Cerberus last year.

Under the terms of that sale, Chrysler had until August to draw on the credit line, which included $1.5 billion from Daimler. The credit line pays interest fixed at 7 percentage points above the London interbank rate, Daimler has said.

Chrysler, which lost $1.6 billion in 2007, has said it ended the year with $9 billion in cash. Its U.S. sales are down 23 percent so far this year.

The concern about Chrysler's liquidity corresponded with an event for employees at the automakers Auburn Hills, Michigan headquarters intended to honor former chairman Lee Iacocca, who is credited with steering the No. 3 U.S. automaker from bankruptcy in the early 1980s.

Chrysler marketing chief Deborah Meyer said market concerns were making it harder for all of the automakers.

"Right now in the auto industry, we are seeing a lot of changes. There are a lot of issues in the economy all over and so everyone is wondering not just about Chrysler, but about the auto industry and all aspects," Meyer told Reuters.

Meyer said senior executives were urging Chrysler employees to focus on customers and their feedback as concerns deepen around the sector.

"The whole company is trying to focus on the customers and what their needs are," she said on the sidelines of an event to showcase Chrysler's 2009 line-up. "If we can stay focused on that with all this rolling around, then we will be okay."
Old 06-30-2008, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

More talk of Jeep going on the block as Chrysler burns through billions in cash.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chrysler...-reserves.html
Old 06-30-2008, 08:00 AM
JK Jedi

I still think Jeep and Hummer should merge
Old 06-30-2008, 09:41 AM
JK Super Freak

And be called a Jumper - I suppose?
Or a Jeeper?
Or a ?????????????
Old 06-30-2008, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

I think The wrangler needs a redesign to shed 1000+ lbs and increase MPG by 10 with a 4 banger diesel.[/QUOTE]

Anyone remember the 1987 YJ? It had a Puegot tranny that didn't hold up and a transfer case with crappy a 2:1 ratio. The last CJ had a Dana 44 rear that you could get with a track-lok and good transmission options. But it was heavy and inefficient.

In my opinion the original YJ was an attempt at making the Jeep more of a car. Lighter, cheap and more efficient. But at a cost of endurance and capability. Jeep finally got their head on straight with the TJ and I love my JK (although I could do with fewer "systems",ESP, ect..) I would be very nervous if they start jumping in to a new model 2-4 years into the JK.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:36 AM
JK Super Freak

i don't care what they do just ship me a crd in the mail and i will be happy... i will make my jeep last forever

Quick Reply: Chrysler may file for Chapter 11 by August