Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Chrysler Warranties and After Market Parts

Old 06-02-2010, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler Warranties and After Market Parts

Near Miss..Made a left hand turn felt a movement in steering like a small patch of ice then traction returned all lasted less than a second. Drove down smoothe dirt road to RV. Returned to the street made the right turn and severe (DEATH WABBLE). Crawled underneath found entire OEM factory welded track bar mounting bracket had torn from the FRONT axel. Loose track bar and damper. Steering 80% gone.
Have read about the rear bracket cracking I check Them both no cracks, no bends.
Limped to a parking lot called Chrysler Towing got hauled to nearest dealership. They immediatly refused warranty do to the SkyJacker 2.5" lift. This is my second Jeep that I lifted.
I have always used SkyJacker trust their design and engineering.....Funny thing though
this lift was installed by the dealer before I ever saw the unit... NO MATTER It's still not covered under warranty.....Was told NO lifts even Chryslers (MOPAR) are not warrantied....This Jeep aint no mall crawler, Moab this Easter and miles of trails later, so, here we are 26k miles...Imagin at 60mph I would'nt be writing this, and "Trail Rated" they decide the rating to suit them...... What do you think??
Old 06-02-2010, 10:36 AM
JK Freak

Yeah Chrysler is probably going to be dicks about this one, especially if the track bar is not OEM. I would suggest either taking it to a welder and having them weld the bracket back for less than $100, or spend ~$100-250 on a track bar relocation bracket. Relo bracket should solve the issue. Although after briefly browsing the options for brackets I found almost all are for lifts 3" or larger
Old 06-02-2010, 12:04 PM
JK Freak

If you find a dealership who warranty's that, you better post their name, b/c that would be the most mod friendly dealership i've ever heard of.

I went rock crawling memorial day weekend and partially broke a weld on my trackbar mount. After closer inspection of the relatively weak welds that hold a VERY important part on the axel, I think EVEYONE who wheels their jk should get his part gusseted, especially if you have a trackbar relocation bracket installed. When you have your trackbar mount welded back on, I would reommend adding some gussets (rock krawler makes a $25 set and jks makes the mother of all trackbar bracket gussets for $125ish). I'm lucky enough to have a friend who is a really good welder, but a welding shop shouldnt charge you more than $100 to do these welds b/c it will take well under an hour to complete them.

Just make sure the shop puts a surge suppressor on your batt to protect the jk's electronics. I had a welding do some work and come to find out later that they could have done some major damage.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

Rented a car waited for dealer to open Tuesday after Memorial Day they called while we were on the way to them....Said they would weld it and correct alignment. That towing and rental car was $300.00...They offered to put on a MOPAR track bar I asked would that be warranted "nope" said weld it make it safe, then we are out of here...while they did that went to 4 Wheel Parts and ordered jks front TB rear TB supports and Pro Comp adjustable TB.....4WP will weld mount and install and align.
No more worry about chicken sh#* sheet metal mounts...Then Proceed with standard opperations.......Valuable lesson learned here. Anything you do to that jeep altering it from off the line condition, any failure normally covered by warranty will probably be denied. If it can be related to anything after market.. "Lawyers Parts and Money"
Old 06-02-2010, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

....wow....is this a common problem with folks and their JK's? It'd be good to know now so as to start investing in it to prevent the problem.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by VaNomad0530
....wow....is this a common problem with folks and their JK's? It'd be good to know now so as to start investing in it to prevent the problem.
Give both front and rear a very good look, check for cracks and bends remember if it don't look right question it, and get help from someone that knows. Mine is a 2008 I know 2010's brackets are different, I can really only comment on the 08.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went through the same thing. My front trackbar mount snapped and instead of the dealership taking the whopping 30-45 minutes necessary to simply weld it back together, they wanted me to replace the entire axle at a cost of $2600 and ship my Jeep about 70 miles away to have it done.

Just find a garage or a welder that'll take care of it. It's a easy job and shouldn't take more than an hour, nor cost you more than $50-$75. Might not hurt to ask them to add some metal to it to reinforce it. Considering how much bullshit Chrysler dealerships are going to put you through over your lift, it's worth just eating a few bucks.

After the weld and an alignment, everything was back to normal.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Spank
I went through the same thing. My front trackbar mount snapped and instead of the dealership taking the whopping 30-45 minutes necessary to simply weld it back together, they wanted me to replace the entire axle at a cost of $2600 and ship my Jeep about 70 miles away to have it done.

Just find a garage or a welder that'll take care of it. It's a easy job and shouldn't take more than an hour, nor cost you more than $50-$75. Might not hurt to ask them to add some metal to it to reinforce it. Considering how much bullshit Chrysler dealerships are going to put you through over your lift, it's worth just eating a few bucks.

After the weld and an alignment, everything was back to normal.

Did mine in Co.Springs alsoat dealership of new car road near Powers.. I am going to try and post the pictures
Old 06-02-2010, 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

Picture of mine all welds were broke, check bend and fatigue break in weld.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5290001..jpg
Views:	65
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	70906
Old 06-02-2010, 09:03 PM
JK Freak

Now you got me worried about mine!

Quick Reply: Chrysler Warranties and After Market Parts