Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

clarification for sunbonnet/duster/windjammer

Old 04-17-2008, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clarification for sunbonnet/duster/windjammer

ok, i know there have been plenty of posts about these parts, but after searching and reading a bunch of them, i'm still confused.

i want to run my 4-door with a sunbonnet, duster, and windjammer for the summer.
Here is what i think i know:

Sunbonnet
It comes with the windshield channel attached. since i have the hardtop only, i still need to purchase the door frames/channels/whatever to fill the gaps so water doesnt leak between the top and doors, right?

Duster
I need to purchase separately the tailgate adapter thingy and the left & right retainers to attach it.

Windjammer
It leaves a gap on either side behind the rear seats in the corners. In order to seal it off, i'd need to get a custom shop to hook me up.

so, did i miss anything? if i wanted to roll with the sunbonnet/duster/windjammer all summer and not worry about rain, did i cover all the requirements or is there some OTHER hidden cost that i forgot to add in?

...aaaaand, for anyone that has a similar setup, is all of this actually WORTH IT?! what does that add up to? ~$5-600?

thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

i was just looking at that thread. tried to go back to page 1 and *poof* no thread...
Old 04-17-2008, 10:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, it was me...... against rules.
I am not trying to solicit sales.
Here are some pics :

Old 04-17-2008, 10:48 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey simon, awesome top - you really did an outstanding job of it. However, the moment you started to discuss the possibilities of having them made, the amount of orders you would need, etc, you were in our opinion, soliciting and it is against our rules.

Just as a reminder to everyone, it is against our rules for manufacturers to solicit their products unless they are a sponsor here. Please understand, our sponsors are what keep this forum available to you free of charge and it makes it very difficult for me to keep them here if people are allowed to circumvent our rules. Having said all that, we do provide a way for members to solicit the homemade parts and accessories without having to violate any of our rules and it is called our Basement Builders Virtual Crafts Fair. And, I would strongly encourage simon to be a participant on it as I think we have all seen that he has a great looking top that people would want. However, I would be grateful if you could please refrain from making any future inquiries regarding pricing and/or sales of this part.

I appreciate your understanding in this matter. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,
Administrator
Old 04-17-2008, 10:57 AM
JK Freak

No prob, Eddie. Understood.
And thanks for the compliment on the top.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

...so, back to the intent of the thread...

am i missing anything? are those parts that i listed what is required to run that setup so that i don't have to worry about rain? like i said, i'd like to keep it like that all summer and not have to change it out for storms that blow through...

feedback?
Old 04-18-2008, 08:37 AM
JK Freak

You are correct. You will need the door rails/frames for the safari top (sunbonnet). Bestop just created a sealed windjammer, but I am not sure if it is only for the 2 dr or for both 2 and 4 drs. This windjammer also needs these door rails/frames.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:51 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by hobbit_foot
ok, i know there have been plenty of posts about these parts, but after searching and reading a bunch of them, i'm still confused.

i want to run my 4-door with a sunbonnet, duster, and windjammer for the summer.
Here is what i think i know:

Sunbonnet
It comes with the windshield channel attached. since i have the hardtop only, i still need to purchase the door frames/channels/whatever to fill the gaps so water doesnt leak between the top and doors, right?

Duster
I need to purchase separately the tailgate adapter thingy and the left & right retainers to attach it.

Windjammer
It leaves a gap on either side behind the rear seats in the corners. In order to seal it off, i'd need to get a custom shop to hook me up.

so, did i miss anything? if i wanted to roll with the sunbonnet/duster/windjammer all summer and not worry about rain, did i cover all the requirements or is there some OTHER hidden cost that i forgot to add in?

...aaaaand, for anyone that has a similar setup, is all of this actually WORTH IT?! what does that add up to? ~$5-600?

thanks in advance.
i have the bikini and the duster cover... i use mine for two reasons:

A) keep the sun off
B) keep my expensive factory soft top from tearing or getting filthy off road

as for water tight... it never will be watretight even with the door surrounds... the padding on your rollbars at the back will get soaked if not removed... the duster cover is not slanted so it will pool water (if there is a heavy rain) and you guessed it... when you hit the brakes, the "pool" of water becomes a projectile of liquid annoyance that drains right into your back seat and/or floorboards.

Is it worth it??? hell yeah... primarily for the reasons i listed above
Old 04-18-2008, 11:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 07JKX
i have the bikini and the duster cover... i use mine for two reasons:

A) keep the sun off
B) keep my expensive factory soft top from tearing or getting filthy off road

as for water tight... it never will be watretight even with the door surrounds... the padding on your rollbars at the back will get soaked if not removed... the duster cover is not slanted so it will pool water (if there is a heavy rain) and you guessed it... when you hit the brakes, the "pool" of water becomes a projectile of liquid annoyance that drains right into your back seat and/or floorboards.

Is it worth it??? hell yeah... primarily for the reasons i listed above

The roll bars get wet, but not soaked.... but who cares, it is on the outside. The weather dries up and you take the top down again.

As for the pool of water, there is a bar that you can buy that goes under the cover that makes the water slide off.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by hobbit_foot

Duster
I've just ordered my duster...what "left & right retainers" are we talking about? I purchased my JK with only the hardtop, so am having to buy all the little OEM pieces as needed.

Quick Reply: clarification for sunbonnet/duster/windjammer