Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Clicking Noise from the JK ?

Old 11-22-2010, 09:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking Noise from the JK ?

I recently discovered a clicking noise from the JK when I accelerate from a dead stop..Normally it happens when I accelerate after it's been in park ..Happened when I was reversing out of my driveway and about to go forward

I dont get a clicking noise when I am already moving though, nor does it sound when I go over bumps..It normally clicks from a dead stop after it's been parked..I heard it click a few times when I started it up pulled it from park to reverse and revered into my garage at work

I looked underneath and nothing seems to be loose.. I am thinking it may be from the tranny?

I have 4 speed automatic 2 DR if that helps

Any thoughts?

AM

Last edited by Ride_My_Jeep; 11-22-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ride_My_Jeep
I recently discovered a clicking noise from the JK when I accelerate from a dead stop..Normally it happens when I accelerate after puttng it in drive..Happens when I am reversing out of my driveway and about to go forward

I dont get a clicking noise when i am already moving though, nor does it sound when I go over bumps..It normally clicks from a dead stop after it's been parked..I heard it click a few times when I started it up and revered into my garage at work

I looked underneath and nothing seems to be loose.. I am thinking it may be from the tranny?

Any thoughts?

AM
Does it sound like clicking from a bad cv joint? I would guess one of your driveshafts, but I see you only have a 2" leveling kit. How many miles have you put on with that kit on there? If it sounds like it's coming from the tranny area, you could try pulling a shaft and driving to see if it goes away. If not, install the shaft you pulled and pull the other shaft and go for another drive to see if the noise is gone.

If you look at the cv joints on the end of the driveshafts, do any of them have grease coming out where the rubber boots are?

Last edited by jdubb75; 11-22-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be something in the HVAC system. My 2009 Ram just came home from a recall on it. When you cranked the truck up it would pop/click. They said it was the door that switched from fresh air to recirculate. It only popped 5/6 times after each start up. I haven't heard of this problem in Jeeps but it sounds like the same problem.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the input

I have had that leveling kit for about 2000 miles..The jeep itself does not have more than 8000

I have ofroaded a couple of times, but nothng too severe
Old 11-22-2010, 07:46 PM
JK Newbie

Default Ticking sound

Originally Posted by Ride_My_Jeep
I recently discovered a clicking noise from the JK when I accelerate from a dead stop..Normally it happens when I accelerate after it's been in park ..Happened when I was reversing out of my driveway and about to go forward

I dont get a clicking noise when I am already moving though, nor does it sound when I go over bumps..It normally clicks from a dead stop after it's been parked..I heard it click a few times when I started it up pulled it from park to reverse and revered into my garage at work

Any thoughts?

AM

This may sound dumb, but I've run into this a few times, and the most simple solution is generally the right one. Does this happen when you have the window/top down? Both my truck and my JK have a tendency to have rocks stick in the tread. When I am just taking off I notice them ticking sometimes. It's apparent with the windows down and as I speed up the wind noise drowns it out. May not be your problem but I know it's something I've run into.

Hope you find it!

Quick Reply: Clicking Noise from the JK ?