Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

clunk under driver's floorboard when turning

Old 05-31-2017, 08:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default clunk under driver's floorboard when turning

Just wondering what I should be looking for here.

After getting new tires installed (which is likely unrelated) I noticed there is a kind of clunking I can feel under my feet on the driver's floor board when turning at low speeds like in a parking lot.

I can turn the wheel back and forth while rolling at like 5 mph and hear it "clunk-clunk" as it goes right and left.

Any ideas what this could be? I couldn't get a noise to surface while the Jeep was sitting still rocking it left and right on the suspension, nothing obviously loose under the Jeep. I'll double-check the lug nuts to ensure the shop didn't forget to tighten them on one wheel before driving again today but I figure it's something unrelated.

Ideas?

EDIT: This is on a 2015 JKU 3/4" front spacer "lift" only, 22K miles, driven 99.5% on the road.

Last edited by mr72; 05-31-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:58 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Sounds like the clunk is steering related. I would start by double checking the torque on the track bar bolts. I know you said you can replicate the sound turning at a slow speed. Can you replicate it while stationary in the drive way? A loose TB bolt on the axle side can give a pretty good "pop" (we all refer to noises differently) that can reverberate quite a bit. Is it just a single clunk, or is it multiple clunks during the same turn?

I'd also think of sway bar link bolts when turning as the body rolls a bit, but if you got out and shook the jeep back and forth you would have most likely replicated that noise.

Last edited by resharp001; 05-31-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flashlight rolling around under seat?

Don't ask....it's happened to someone and we spend 1\2 a day trying to figure it out...LOL
Old 05-31-2017, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Reccomed performing the 11-1 check. Really simple and you will need an assistant.

Have your assistant sit in the drivers seat start the Jeep and rotate the steering wheel left to right or 11-1. While doing this lay on the ground and check all your forward suspension components. Control Arms, Track Bar, Drag Link, Tie Rod and driveshaft. I had a popping/clunck sound and it was a combination of front passenger LCA axle joint and drivers upper LCA mount worn.

Also check you font lower control arm for signs of rubbing depending on the size tires you had put on.

R/
Will
Old 05-31-2017, 12:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Canvas
Reccomed performing the 11-1 check. Really simple and you will need an assistant.
Thanks. I think that's my next move.

BTW for those others who made suggestions:

No it doesn't make the noise just rocking it back and forth like it would (and did) with the sway bar end link loose.

The tires are 265/70R18 replacing the stock 255/70R18 so not big enough to make a difference and they do not rub.

I will check to see if it makes the noise when sitting still and turning the steering wheel.

I had the distinct feeling the clunk comes from the body/suspension movement and not necessarily steering.

I'll definitely look for whether there's something loose under the driver's seat. I have some bungee balls kicking around in the Jeep, that's entirely possible.

And it's not a "pop", but definitely a clunk, but it's sort of a lightweight clunk. It actually felt like something is physically bumping the floor pan, something about the size and density of a broom handle or maybe a jaw breaker. Imagine a little gremlin under the driver's side floor board who taps a Dum-Dum sucker on the floor board under my feet every time I turn either direction while going under 10 mph. I seriously doubt this is the actual cause, but this is what comes to mind.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:52 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the suggestions. I found the problem. Fortunately it was a simple fix.

there was a water bottle (full...) under the driver's seat.

Kind of odd since I am not normally a consumer of water bottles, but once I saw it I knew immediately how it got there.

Crisis averted. Nothing to see here.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

HOLY COW! Jchappies for the win!
Old 06-01-2017, 04:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by resharp001
Jchappies for the win!
Yep!

Believe me, I'm happy to look dumb if it means nothing is broken.

I also found spider webs under that seat I've been putting off that "Jeep Cleanout Day" way too long.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HAHAHA.....Damn water bottles will get you every time.

Glad it was nothing major.

Quick Reply: clunk under driver's floorboard when turning