Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

code po481 trouble- need help

Old 06-20-2020, 03:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default code po481 trouble- need help

i have a 2007 wrangler, rad fan comes on and runs for a very short time, it stops and code po481 comes on- fan 2 control curcit comes on and the fan stops. if i clear the code the fan comes right back on and will repeat this same code. i have replaced the temp sensor, replaced the high speed relay, tested the fan with direct power, checked fuses, checked the wireing- im at a loss, am i missing something simple- any help will be good- thanks Greg
Old 06-20-2020, 09:59 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

From the service manual...
P0481 (2008)
Set Condition:
The PCM is requesting the TIPM to turn on the Cooling Fan On and it is not operating. One Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.
Possible Causes
  • CAN C BUS FAILURE
  • ENGINE COOLANT TEMP SENSOR DTCS SET
  • COOLING FAN CONTROL CIRCUIT DTCS SET IN THE TIPM
  • PCM
Are you using an enhanced OBD2 scanner that will also read codes from the TIPM? If not, see the relevant link below in sig. Hopefully there is actually more fault codes that will get you closer.

Also, do a domain specific search (google) of JK-forum and the others with that DTC quoted, and see what others with that code have done. For example:
site:jk-forum.com "P0481"

Stay in touch,

Quick Reply: code po481 trouble- need help