Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The cold weather?

Old 09-08-2011, 08:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK07
Now that we know what I need what about to help others. Nothing to big but just in case
Carry a tow strap, flares etc if you want to yank people out of ditches etc. Some threads on this as well, including being careful where you hook on to. People you are trying to help can turn on you quickly if you screw up their vehicle. Some guys will let the other owner attach it to their car. It all depends on the situation.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
Carry a tow strap, flares etc if you want to yank people out of ditches etc. Some threads on this as well, including being careful where you hook on to. People you are trying to help can turn on you quickly if you screw up their vehicle. Some guys will let the other owner attach it to their car. It all depends on the situation.
Good looking out I dont want to get f-ed over for trying to do a good deed. I remember long ago me and a couple of friends were driving in his cherokee it was snowing next thing we knew we fell in a ditch because everything was white I remember trying to dig the tires out man was it cold we were not prepared.... Now I know to carry a shovel, Extra gloves, I have to install my cb just in case my phone loses bars. Etc. at the end we ended uo getting pulled out
Old 09-08-2011, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I never have had any issue with mine. (It gets -30 F at least for a week or two here) I take mine to get oil changed in November - they put winterized stuff in. Otherwise, a good battery (cold with drain a low one to dead - left my XM plugged in last year ) and slushmats.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's what I do:
Check ALL the fluids (make sure that's really wiper fluid and not water)
Switch from Dino oil to synthetic
Check windshield wipers, I usually buy the cheap ones and replace every 6 months
Make sure battery is fully charged and terminals are clean
Check the belts for wear of looseness.
Check all everything underneath is torqued correctly and there are no leaks or snags, or?
Make sure 4 wheel drive is operational and there's no issues
Ice/snow scraper (brass not plastic) with brush
Pack a bag with a warm blanket, long johns, wool socks, heavy jacket, gloves, hats, snacks, etc.
A good shovel
A bag of sand, gravel or cat litter
Tow strap
Flashlight and head lamp
Basic tools
Fluids
Jumper cables and or jumper pack
Repair any dings with touch up paint
Wash and wax
Check for rust and treat
Look for sales on HEAT additive for cold weather treatments
WHISKEY

I usually carry a lot of the stuff listed year round but it's always good to check to make sure everything's there and works. I think this year I'll make a check list. It's funny, people who live in cold climates and don't carry around essentials when traveling. I've seen people stranded in shorts and sandles with out a decent coat even. Keeping your trendy fashion sense will only get you killed up here.

Last edited by dogsonparade; 09-08-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dogsonparade
Here's what I do:
Check ALL the fluids (make sure that's really wiper fluid and not water)
Switch from Dino oil to synthetic
Check windshield wipers, I usually buy the cheap ones and replace every 6 months
Make sure battery is fully charged and terminals are clean
Check the belts for wear of looseness.
Check all everything underneath is torqued correctly and there are no leaks or snags, or?
Make sure 4 wheel drive is operational and there's no issues
Ice/snow scraper (brass not plastic) with brush
Pack a bag with a warm blanket, long johns, wool socks, heavy jacket, gloves, hats, snacks, etc.
A good shovel
A bag of sand, gravel or cat litter
Tow strap
Flashlight and head lamp
Basic tools
Fluids
Jumper cables and or jumper pack
Repair any dings with touch up paint
Wash and wax
Check for rust and treat
Look for sales on HEAT additive for cold weather treatments
WHISKEY

I usually carry a lot of the stuff listed year round but it's always good to check to make sure everything's there and works. I think this year I'll make a check list. It's funny, people who live in cold climates and don't carry around essentials when traveling. I've seen people stranded in shorts and sandles with out a decent coat even. Keeping your trendy fashion sense will only get you killed up here.
Awesome post om going to need a check list.

Quick Reply: The cold weather?