Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Common problems with gear installs?

Old 05-02-2009, 12:44 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Common problems with gear installs?

Hi all, I was reading through this post on re-gearing

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/gearing-82262/

And wanted to get more information on what the common causes/effects are with gear install problems. Things along the lines of 'if you hear a grinding coming from the back axle, it's likely to be (this item) not installed or set properly'. Hopefully, something more informative than 'your axle will blow up!'

Crush sleeves: I've read that they are hard to crush, and can cause problems if over/under crushed. But I haven't seen what the actual problem would be, and how you would know it was happening?

Preload: (this is the shims, correct?) Again, read that there can be problems if they are set up improperly. But what actually happens if they are too tight/loose? And how do you tell there is a problem here while driving?

Punching/Identifying Bearing caps: "It is important to re-install as they came out, not backwards or upside down." Again, what would happen if installed incorrectly, and what symptoms would there be?

I read another post from a guy saying his steering was much 'tighter' in 4wd after the gear install, sounding/acting like he had lockers now, but can not find it and did not see the resolution.

Any other items that may cause problems?

I guess I just want a better understanding of what a problem would be from what I would hear or feel while driving.

*And if this information is covered in another thread please point me in the right direction! Thanks.

Last edited by nthinuf; 05-02-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Common problems with gear installs?