Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Contemplating a Jeep

Old 04-30-2008, 01:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contemplating a Jeep

Hey everyone,

I'm a LR Defender guy, so bear with me !

I'm looking for a new challenge, and I quite like the look of the Wrangler unlimited Rubicon. I've been at the local dealership for a looksee, but unfortunately Rubicons are as rare as hen's teeth around here, and he only had a base model in the showroom.

But on the whole I dig this Jeep thing.

So I'm wondering if you guys could help me out. I'd like to hear the good, the bad and the ugly (well, that would be me) about these vehicles. Being a Euro I would go for the diesel. It has the 5 gear autobox, which I hope is a bit different from the incinerators you seem to drive. I'm leaning towards the manual, because we're more used to those over here.

I'd also like to hear what you have to say about the available 4" (or so) lifts. Trailmaster are readily available, bur I suppose I could get something else if I insist.

Thanks for your help, and I'm looking forward to the replies !

Peter R.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Peter,

I just sold my 1994 Defender 90 which I owned since new and replaced it with an unlimited Rubicon.

I could go on and on and am going to be writing a 2000 mile review of my latest road trip to the mountains of North Carolina.

But in short, the Jeep is a step down from a military grade chassis, but functionally superior to our old Defenders. Technology has come a long way since 1994 and Jeep truly nailed it when they designed this platform.

Go down right now and buy a Rubicon and you will be thrilled.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Be aware that the interior is no luxury vehicle. OUtside it is all business.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the underside is all business except where they put the Evaporative canister and there is no engine skid plate with the manual.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

Hey Peter,

I was also a defender guy and now i m the proud owner of a unlimited sahara crd. She ' s got about 3000 km now and i won't trade her in for another car , not even a defender. The problem here in Belgium at the dealers is that they have to wait about 6 to 8 months for a JK to be delivered and when she comes in there are always customers that want that car. I bought mine just with the help of a picture , no testride cause there was no car. I know that Novoto in Gent has a steel blue sahara as a testvehicle and that Chrysler Brussels has a Rubicon they use for the Jeep weekends. Maybe you can try to contact them for a testride. If you want to do some mods on the car , remember that there is something like the ' autokeuring' . Not every mod is allowed here..
Greets from Giesbaargen

Ferre
Old 04-30-2008, 10:16 AM
chasm

Peter:

You will love the new Rubicon!
The wife and I have 5 Jeeps between us and we love the 2008 Rubi. I got the works when I ordered it from the factory and I have been pleased with its' on and off road ability. The GPS system is really nice for mapping off-highway trails. The Dana 44's are awesome and the electronic front disconnects work effortlessly, as do the axle lockers.

The only thing I don't like about the new Jeeps is the extra plastic trim on the inside. I have been running Jeeps since 1983 and know they are made to take the abuse. Why they put all of the extra trim around the windshield and elsewhere is beyond me. The JK's are not as Spartan as the older Jeeps, but they are durable and still pretty easy to clean on the inside.

(Never ran a Defender, but I have had Mitsubishi, Chevrolet, and Dodge 4x4's to compare to. The Rubicon beats them all, hands down!)

Cheers!
Old 04-30-2008, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nightbat
Be aware that the interior is no luxury vehicle. OUtside it is all business.
He'll probably think it IS a luxury vehicle when he compares the fancy stuff like carpet, power windows,stereo, air conditioning, etc, etc ,etc to his old Land Rover Defender which has the same sort of luxury interior one might expect in a school bus. . .
Old 04-30-2008, 06:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can afford it (I couldn't) the Rubicon is the way to go. It is ready for most anything you can dish right from the dealer.

The ride on the Unlimited is much improved over the older models (I haven't driven a 2dr). I would describe it as just barley choppier than may Toyota Pickup, and that's probably due to the fact that I don't have a live axle in the front.

It has met all of my expectations. I think the Freedom Top is perfect for when you batten down the hatches for winter, but a warm day pops in; or if you are going to take a long trip.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

Happy feelings all around it seems. It definitely needs to be higher up though, I don't need it to iron my shirts.

As Ferre pointed out, our MOT folks only allow mods if they are approved by the distributor. The belgian distributor (and dealers) will happily sell you a 3.5 or 4.5" mopar or other lift kit, even install it for you and present you with the bill, but they won't stamp a piece of paper saying they approve. Apparently the guy in charge at the Belgian distributor's is a throwback from the Benz days. On a question put to him by a friend asking 'why won't you approve your own mods, like Toyota does' he allegedly answered 'buy a Toyota'. Go figure.

Luckily there's away around that if I buy the car in Germany and do an SVA.

I'm really looking forward to that test drive.

So build quality is ok ? US cars tend to worry us Euro's.

Peter R.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Peter,

I too was a Land Rover guy, a 1972 series III. It was great until it left me stranded twice in one week. Electrical gremlins, Lucas Electric. I think you will find the Jeep build quality on par with other manufactures. The U.S. automotive industry still has not shaken much of its well deserved reputation made in the 70's and 80's. But a lot has changed. I think it was Consumer Reports that listed U.S. build quality higher than most Euro car companies. Plus with your stronger currency, you might be able to get a very good price.

Anyway, since you are coming from a vehicle with plenty of character, you should appreciate the Jeep experience.

Quick Reply: Contemplating a Jeep