Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Convince me!!

Old 05-30-2013, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Needing and wanting a truck are two different things. For me, I NEED a truck so I have a big crewcab dually for work/play and a daily driver when needed. My fiancee has a JK which is her daily driver and what we typically use for trips etc. She bought the Jeep because she wanted a newer vehicle that was capable for off-roading and she had to have adjustable seats as she's only 5' tall on a good day. No other suvs/trucks had the adjustable seat and she couldn't see out of them so she ended up with a JK, which is now on 35s with a 4" lift etc etc I only wish she bought a JKU, but she liked the 2dr better. Now we rather have a 4dr for camping/traveling since we have dogs and will have kids.

Now I pull trailers for buying/selling vehicles and do long hauls so I require a truck to do this as an SUV just isn't capable enough. If you're just pulling a boat here and there and not all the time then your Expedition could do the job I'm sure, so do you really need a truck or did you buy a truck because you wanted one? If you're job doesn't require the use of a truck and you rarely tow, then there's no need for one unless you use it to haul atvs or other reasons.

One option I see lots of people do is go buy an small pickup like an S10 which can be had for $500-1500 all day long for 1990-2000 year models and use that for all the garbage runs, gardening, etc. Then you get your play vehicles, be a Jeep or sports car, motorcycle etc.

The JKs are great for off-roading and very easy to work on and can be cheap to upgrade if you don't buy new. Aftermarket stuff is currently over-priced since it's the newest and most expensive Wrangler ever made. Give it 10 years and the prices of aftermarket parts will go down to YJ/TJ levels, like it usually does after the rush.

Before getting rid of the truck though, take into consideration the specs of the future boat and the Expedition specs to make sure you actually can use the Ex for towing. Maybe you'll need to keep the truck and trade the Ex in on a JKU. At least either way you'll get rid of one Ford
Old 05-30-2013, 02:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's possible, why not keep the F-150 and sell the Expedition. I know i'm going to get yelled at for saying this but of the 3 vehicle in play those 2 are the most like. The JKU (which I have) could be considered an SUV. So do you really need 2 SUV's? Keep the truck for towing and hauling stuff and get the Jeep for hauling people and playing around off road. Again I realize that it is a Jeep and not and SUV, i'm just saying the comparison could be made. The punch line is get a Jeep!
Old 05-30-2013, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSteve
If it's possible, why not keep the F-150 and sell the Expedition. I know i'm going to get yelled at for saying this but of the 3 vehicle in play those 2 are the most like. The JKU (which I have) could be considered an SUV. So do you really need 2 SUV's? Keep the truck for towing and hauling stuff and get the Jeep for hauling people and playing around off road. Again I realize that it is a Jeep and not and SUV, i'm just saying the comparison could be made. The punch line is get a Jeep!
That was originally our plan but gettin the Wifey to let go of her precious Expo is proving to be harder than I thought... lol honestly while researching the Jeep I fell in love with them and I want one more than she does....
Old 05-30-2013, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CDR23

That was originally our plan but gettin the Wifey to let go of her precious Expo is proving to be harder than I thought... lol honestly while researching the Jeep I fell in love with them and I want one more than she does....
Before my jk I had a Tj yj and two XJs. I was looking to get a truck. Figured wife wouldn't want me getting all jeep crazy again. After driving several truck. She didn't like them and suggested another jeep. A brand new one. Yeah I know. My wife is waaaay better than most. She knows what makes me tick. She also knows I'm crazy about a jeep. ; )
Old 05-30-2013, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And if u ever get her out cruising with the top down and doors off. She'll be hooked. THEY ALL GET HOOKED : )
Old 05-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I've owned a truck before and being able to throw stuff in the bed is a "nice" thing to have when you need it. However, as I found out and as I'm sure you may have found out by now, that when you own a truck then all of your friends seem to call you when they need a truck to haul stuff also, which tends to be a pain in azz, especially when there also tends to be extra work involved of having to help them move or move something.

So there have been times while owning my JKU that I have needed a truck. Things like picking up furniture, buying a large outdoor grill, picking up firewood, drywall etc. When those times have come up, I go to the local UHaul and rent a trailer for a day for $20 and tow it on the back of my Jeep. Problem solved. My friends don't call me when they need stuff hauled, I don't worry about denting and scratching my truck bed and for 20 bucks it isn't worth me buying a trailer, paying to put a license plate on it, and worrying where I'm going to store it when I'm not using it. Your mileage may vary, but it works for me.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-30-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Struggled with the same decision about one month ago. I had an '02 GMC 3/4 ton crew cab 4x4 lifted 4" on 35's. Sweet truck but ate me alive at the gas pump to the tune of 9mpg! Traded it for my Jeep me couldn't be happier, like has already been stated, assess your needs for keeping the Ford, if you don't really need the pick-up bed, get the Jeep! I guarantee you won't be disappointed!!
Old 05-30-2013, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Remember Jeep reliability isn't close to Ford:

2013 Vehicle Dependability Study | J.D. Power

And a JK rides like a skateboard compared to an F-150.

You might want to search "death wobble" on this forum.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

Why not rent a Wrangler for a week and see if it's what you really want. Shouldn't cost too much, but the amount you spend on the rental will give you some insight into whether the Jeep is the vehicle you think it is. After the rental is returned, then make your decision.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:22 PM
JK Freak

I switched from a tundra to my Jeep.

I am on acreage so I do plan on getting a trailer, maybe even a ranch truck. But there really isn't any comparison.

Driving around topless and/or doorless I love driving it. First vehicle I actually looked forward to driving since my old Plymouth.

It's never going to be the most practice vehicle and if I didn't want to hit all the trails we have here not sure if I wouldn't have just kept the truck.

And BTW the new ones are so refined, it does not make it hard for them to also be a great DD.

Renting one is a good idea. Make sure to get the top down so you can really experience it!

Quick Reply: Convince me!!