Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cool Wave

Old 05-24-2008, 03:58 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts
Default Cool Wave

Supplee Four Wheel called me yesterday to let me know that my ToughStuff Hi-Lift rack was in. So I decided to drive over there. I live northeast of Tinker AFB and yesterday afternoon was pretty noisy with jets, which was somewhat surprising (because it didn't sound like the usual AWACS noise). As I was pulling out of my drive, top and doors off, a diamond formation of four F-16s, trailed by one other, flew directly over me at way below 1K foot. It was noisy and, as they passed overhead, I realized it was the USAF Thunderbirds doing their arrival show for this weekend's performance at the base. Cool! Anyway, I drove down the east edge of the base, headed to a road that will get me to west of the base by running just south of it. As I was driving around, the Thunderbirds continued with their great arrival show--doing loops and barrel rolls, but keeping things somewhat low because of the low cloud deck. I turned west on the road (SE 74th St) that actually comes within a couple hundred yards of the south end of the runway. It's lined on both sides by trees, so other than hearing the aircraft, I couldn't see much. Then, it was obvious one was headed right overhead as the rancorous sound got louder and louder. I looked up just in time to see him, inverted, staring straight back down at me. No kidding. In an instance I did the only thing I could think of to do: I gave him a big, Jeep wave. He was gone before I could see if he returned it (I'll just pretend he did).
Old 05-24-2008, 08:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Capitan of the Thunderbird's is Mike and I met him at the Richard Petty Driving Experience in Las Vegas when I was the Coordinator of events for the program. He is one very cool person! When he got out of the Nextel Cup Style Stock Car after his program I asked him how he could be so excited when he is used to pulling 4+ G's and he was only to pulling 1 or 2 G's at the most. and his words were "It's one thing to be doing that in the air. It's another thing to realize that only 4 tires are keeping you in contact with the ground and away from the wall." He was lit up like a kid in a candy store! He told me to watch them tomorrow when they practice. Nellis AFB is next door to Las Vegas Motor Speed Way.

The next day when they were practicing for the yearly air show at Nellis AFB he flew over the track and inverted and waved at us! That was just plain awesome!

Knowing this I would have to say YES HE DID WAVE BACK!

Last edited by whpony96; 05-24-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by whpony96
... YES HE DID WAVE BACK!
Or maybe he figures I did!
Old 05-24-2008, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is awesome!
Old 05-28-2008, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Iceman: Cough"Bullshit"Cough
Goose / Mark Doiron: "No it really happened man. The guy was inverted"

Awesome - would have been great to have the Polaroid!!

I always carry the camera in the JK now - but nothing exciting has happened yet for me to need it!! - Typical.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:05 PM
JK Freak

Very cool. I just watched a show about the F22 ,,, WOW, just WOW.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Wow! What a fantastic experience! Awesome!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A guy flew over me the other day too. I couldnt tell if he waved back to me either.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-29-2008, 04:46 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by JKJase
Iceman: Cough"Bullshit"Cough
Goose / Mark Doiron: "No it really happened man. The guy was inverted"
Heh-heh. As I was writing this up initially, that did cross my mind. Then I thought of Meg Ryan--now there's something I could live with.

Quick Reply: Cool Wave