Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cost to lift?

Old 09-15-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost to lift?

i have an 08 automatic (don't judge) 2 door and i wanted to know what would it roughly cost to put some 35's on her. Assuming i would pay a place to do it (including tires and all)?????
Old 09-15-2008, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not judging. Some people swear by either, but I've heard that it's just easier to "wheel" an auto.
I'm going with an auto when I order my diesel jeep, (if they ever build one).

About the price? You should do some research cause it will depend on what you want to do to your jeep.

As for reserch, perphaps if you google "choosing a lift" or do that search on this site. There is a wealth of info out there.

Don't forget, jeep stands for just empty every pocket so be sure someone who loves you, or has a stake in shared finances is there to help with your jeep addiction. In other words watch your budget.

Good luck.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

I've got an auto, too.

If your are ready for a lift search around the modified section of this forum.

There is probally more info in this forum about lifts and tires than any other place.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

To fit 35s you need about 3" of lift... Personally I would go with a 2" BB (budget boost) and a 1" body lift in order to keep a low center of gravity and avoid having to replace your driveshafts. Cost for parts would be about $350, depending on which BB you get. Installation shouldn't cost very much. Heck, find some folks on the forum in your area and I'm sure they would be glad to help you if you feed them.

For a set of five 35s, expect to pay at least $1000. If you have 17" wheels or larger, it's going to be in the neighborhood of $1200-$1400. Of course, it depends on which tires you get and where you purchase the tires.

If you keep your stock wheels you are going to need wheel spacers. $200 for four.

You should be able to get some 35s under your Jeep for less than $2,000.

Last edited by Ryno; 09-15-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Welcome to the forum! I think Ryno hit it on the head. Look for 2.5" to 3" of lift either a budjet boost or a coil lift will be in the $250-$550 range.

35's may require a regear down the road, unless you like poor gas milage and less power.

You might want to think about 33's
Old 09-15-2008, 10:43 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will eventually need to replace your drive shafts. The rear will go in about a year. The front will tear its boot real quick and ding your transmission lip.(Over $1000 for both)

Gears aren't a must, but you will eventually want those too.($1,200-$1,500)

To get better handling, you'll eventually want to add control arms and adj track bars too. Again, these can be added slowly. Budget lifts get you more room, but come at a little bit of a price in terms of handling and flex.

All in all, you'll like your Jeep more! Worth every penny along the way.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:44 AM
JK Freak

I have a 08 4dr X, Auto, with 3.73 gears. I just finished the lift process on my. I went with a black diamond 3 inch lift, Pro comp ES9000's, and BFG mud kings (generic BFG brand). I was able to pull the lift together with tires and installed myself for less then 1 grand. Now what I have noticed so far is with the 3.73, you do not need to regear, in my opinion. Once I corrected the speedometer and shift points, it drives fine. Now I do a 50/50 mix of highway and city driving. in the city it is great. There is some powerloss but nothing that will make it go OMG I need gears now. on the highway, if it is flat I have no problem cruising at 1800rpm. but it does kick out of OD often. So normally I just turn off OD and cruise at 2300rpm. When I was stock I cruised at 2000rpm. As for the driveshafts, I will replace them when they go.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:25 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cyberbrain
I have a 08 4dr X, Auto, with 3.73 gears. I just finished the lift process on my. I went with a black diamond 3 inch lift, Pro comp ES9000's, and BFG mud kings (generic BFG brand). I was able to pull the lift together with tires and installed myself for less then 1 grand. Now what I have noticed so far is with the 3.73, you do not need to regear, in my opinion. Once I corrected the speedometer and shift points, it drives fine. Now I do a 50/50 mix of highway and city driving. in the city it is great. There is some powerloss but nothing that will make it go OMG I need gears now. on the highway, if it is flat I have no problem cruising at 1800rpm. but it does kick out of OD often. So normally I just turn off OD and cruise at 2300rpm. When I was stock I cruised at 2000rpm. As for the driveshafts, I will replace them when they go.
Your drive shafts shouldn't be a problem since you have the 4 door. Your front boot probably wont tear either, with the stock control arms, so you should be good.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:37 AM
JK Super Freak

The Teraflex 2.5" coil lift will get you 3" of lift, will clear 35's and there shouldn't be a need to replace the drive shafts all for less than $600 with shocks (less with shock extenders).

Another $1400 or so for wheels and tires and you are gold.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

X2 what sully said. Teraflex 2.5 coil kit w/shocks(less than $600.00), plus a steering stabilizer(about $45.00), and you might want a frt trackbar(from $150.00 to $200.00). Steel wheels are about $60.00 a piece(x5) and tires roughly $150.00 a piece(x5). Check with David at Northridge about lift, stabilizer, and trackbar(free shipping), or check the Teraflex website, you can order directly from them. Put a call out for Joe at Teraflex(go to the Sponser/Manufacturer page) with any questions about the lift, or just do a search on the Teraflex 2.5inch spring kit w/shocks. Wheels and tires can be bought about anywhere. Some people swear by Summit, some Jeggs, some Quadratec, and some 4wd Hardware. Post a pic of yours sully.

Here is mine before

....and after

....with Teraflex 2.5inch spring kit w/shocks

Last edited by Hellbilly; 09-16-2008 at 09:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Cost to lift?