Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Credit where it's due...

Old 06-17-2010, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Credit where it's due...

I took my slightly modified jk on some serious trails this past weekend. At about 1:00 pm I was wishing that I opted for lockers and sway disco's. Needless to say I made it through the trail with minimal winching, but after looking at a few of the other jk's I decided to remove my fenders (they took the most abuse. Sahara) and begin thinking seriously about the shitty built or spider fenders. Both of these will set me back a grand, with out paint! I"ve removed the factory running boards "for more clearance" and inherited some major scratches and dents. At this point I'm turning around on aesthetics. I'm going to reinstall everything I've taken off and focus on lockers/onboard air/ e disco's.
Yes the jeep looks a lil bulky with the factory fenders and running boards, but to me it seems worth protecting the paint and keeping a classy look. I doubt that many of you will agree with what I'm saying, but around here redneck jeeps are a dime a dozen. I want mine to stand out a bit. And I've learned from hooking up cars that most aftermarket parts are garbage that doesn't fit properly or doesn't stand up to it's quoted gains. So in this aspect of the wrangler I give Chrysler the credit it deserves in AESTHETICS. No credit on factory ride height, tire size, engine, or uselessconnect buttons on my dash. Agree/Disagree lemme know.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at least you got to use your winch

i made my winch my first mod cause it would be the best thing to save myself,
and over time i would add tires, lockers, etc.....

but after i installed it i have not used it once for recovering myself or another person,

and now i have lockers, tires, and a lift.

as far as you go
i credit you for getting your paint scratched, exspecially with a sahara.

if you want to build up over time than im going to suggest:
starting with lockers, since wheel spin can bring you to a stop

than a lift, that extra breakover angle will help a lot

than tires,
i say tires last because even the deepest treads can still get mud caked in them causing no grip.

im not an expert but it worked for me
Old 06-18-2010, 12:41 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

You're just confirming what I've said all along: The Sahara model is Chrysler's idea of a "luxury" Jeep. Although there are folks who wheel them, they are not intended by Chrysler for that purpose (though they are just as capable), as evidenced by painted fenders and the steps. As far as the e-disco's--You don't need anything except tools and ten minutes to disconnect your front sway bar (and there's no point to disconnecting the rear). For $120 or so, you can add quick disco's that are a little less convenient than e-disco's, but much more reliable. Lockers: Yes that would be nice, but I've followed locked Jeeps on larger tires all over Moab and Disney (OK). Don't let that be an excuse to not keep up with them!

Quick Reply: Credit where it's due...