Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Curious...

Old 01-19-2007, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious...

I am curious what experiences others have had with their local Jeep clubs or other off-road clubs. Being new to Jeeps and somewhat new to offroading I'm looking for all the guidance and support I can get. This site helps with that, but having some local contacts that can help with mods, go on trail rides, etc would be great.

I was checking out the web sites of some local Jeep clubs in my area. One just happened to have a forum, so I went to check it out. Near the top of the list of threads is non other then a JK bashing thread that's been on going for months. Not very welcoming if you ask me. Now, non make/model specific clubs seem to be a lot more open. They just want to go out and have fun and anyone/everyone is more then welcome.

I've dealt with the unwelcome nature with another make and thought Jeep would be different. I still have hope, and still look to join a club. Maybe all us JKers just need to prove them all wrong.

Thoughts?
Old 01-19-2007, 08:16 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an easy one. Let your JK do the talking.
Go out with them. Find someone who can drive well (and does not have a giant ego). Invite them to test drive it. Never defend your Jk, just listen and they'll come around with time. I typically look to meet the guy that has been around forever. Not some kid that's young dumb and full of you know what. The old timers are typically more open minded, as well as respected.

Last edited by Woods; 01-19-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I delt with this joining another car club. I purchased a 350Z shortly after they came out. I joined a local Z club, and all the guys with older cars were a bit uneasy about the new cars.

The biggest complaint I think was that the guys who had older Zs felt they were "purists" and that the new Z with all the new features was somehow cheating... it was too easy.

I think it is a mixture of envy and legitimate concern that the new JK will bring in a bunch of newbie or non-off-roaders who think they are the shit just because they have a new JK.

Jeepers are in general a friendly bunch, but there will always be curmudgeons who hate anything new, and people who used to have the latest and greatest that will envy the attention the new Jeeps will get. Everyone has a lot of emotional investment in something they have worked on and built up over the years.

Give them time and they will grow to love it. In the meantime, just be the friendlist guy in the club, always willing to lend a hand, generous, etc. Your good attitude will reflect well on your new JK

-E
Old 01-20-2007, 02:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

The local club that I go wheeling with from time to time had the bash the JK threads for a while. So far I have taken my JK on two runs and I am starting to earn a little respect, if it was not for my own fear of bending up my new Jeep I am sure I would have even more. It also does not hurt that I am the only one with a "stock" rig and not having any problems keeping up.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:59 AM
JK Super Freak

One club almost begged me to come to a meeting so everyone could see the JK. I got mostly ecstatic comments, and a few generally positive reviews with a couple reservations, all valid that I have seen myself or heard about on here. No haters for the sake of hating.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I figured once I can get out on the trails thoughts of the JK will change. It's just gonna be some time till that will happen. Being the only vehicle my wife and I own at the very least I'll have to wait till she gets someting.

PHiSH....Love it. Head from back in the day myself. Did you make it out to Coventry? Crazy weekend...
Old 01-20-2007, 08:44 PM
JK Super Freak

No, I wasn't able to, but I wish I had. My friend still has a pair of shoes with the mud caked all over them in a glass display case in his house. Did you have any trouble getting in?
Old 01-21-2007, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

16 hours to get in, 12 to get out! But we got in. Part that pi$$ed me off is we pased the road to get to the entrance as the signage was horrible and we didn't know when to turn. Ended up at a gas station picking up some beer, turned around and the line was crazy.

Quick Reply: Curious...