Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Daystar Hood Wranglers

Old 11-19-2010, 02:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Daystar Hood Wranglers

After partially ripping off the JK's under-nose airflow valance in deep snow last year, I elected to remove it early this time.

One clear drawback is that removing the valance allows for considerably greater air pressure under the hood. This results in a significant increase in hood flutter. So, I ordered a set of Daystar polyurethane dogbone hood rubbers.

I installed them today, which took about 30 minutes. However, it was quite cold today and the instructions state that initial installation should be done at 70 degrees or better. That's not a problem, I simply assembled the latch side and then soaked them in 180 degree water for 10 minutes. They stretched nicely, with no excessive effort to get them over-center and locked.

Plucking one out of the water, you align it and push in the lower pin, and then tighten the screw. Then, fasten the latch while the rubber is still nice and warm. Repeat on the other side.

I did deviate from the instructions though... Daystar's instructions would have you remove the hardware securing the lower bracket. Getting access to that is a pain in the ass. One can easily drop hardware, and getting to the hardware is not easy either. There's a much easier solution.

The factory pins are steel, encased in plastic. Daystar's method is to grab each side with two pairs of Vice-Grips and twist in opposite directions until the plastic breaks. The force required means that you don't want to do this with the brackets on the Jeep. If a tool slips, you'll gouge the paint.

What I did was use a thin razor saw (a hacksaw blade will work too) and between the rubber and bracket, saw through the plastic. Rotate 90 degrees and cut again. Do this four times. With slip-joint pliers or Vice-Grips, gently twist the ends and the whole assembly comes out. No need to unbolt the brackets. It's faster and much easier. No hardware to drop, no dinged knuckles.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But good advise
Old 11-19-2010, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree we need pics.
I actually ordered these 2 weeks ago so I should be getting them in the mail very soon so this advise is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:08 PM
JK Super Freak

these things work great, good choice. no more flutter for me now at any speed.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost bought a set of these, but found that removing the hood spring completely cured my hood flutter and the bouncing around on the highway from trucks going by.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubicon John
I almost bought a set of these, but found that removing the hood spring completely cured my hood flutter and the bouncing around on the highway from trucks going by.
I did the same thing with my stock hood, but when I switched to a TMD hood, the flutter was back full force... Just put on the daystars, road test tomorrow
Old 02-19-2012, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jksooner

I did the same thing with my stock hood, but when I switched to a TMD hood, the flutter was back full force... Just put on the daystars, road test tomorrow
Holy thread revival Batman! since you just put yours on I will say that I did have to use lock tight on all 4 of the bolts because they would vibrate lose after a few days and it seems no mater how hard I tighten them they loosen?? Just saying keep an eye on it. Since putting the lock tight on they have stayed put.
Hood flutter however has been gone since I installed them
Old 02-19-2012, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by efan450

Holy thread revival Batman! since you just put yours on I will say that I did have to use lock tight on all 4 of the bolts because they would vibrate lose after a few days and it seems no mater how hard I tighten them they loosen?? Just saying keep an eye on it. Since putting the lock tight on they have stayed put.
Hood flutter however has been gone since I installed them
Ha! Yeah... Noticed how old it was after I posted. Mine seemed to have some sort of lock tight on them from daystar. Did yours?
Old 02-19-2012, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jksooner

Ha! Yeah... Noticed how old it was after I posted. Mine seemed to have some sort of lock tight on them from daystar. Did yours?
No problem I've done the same thing..just giving you a hard time..if you are referring to the blue colored thread lock then yes mine still had it which is why initially I just tightened and didn't think anything of it, until I went to check my oil one day and I noticed they seemed loose...tightened then up and started checking them routinely..I had to use red lock tight to finally stop them from coming loose...probably just a fluke but just give them a once over occasionally, other then that you'll love them.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by efan450

No problem I've done the same thing..just giving you a hard time..if you are referring to the blue colored thread lock then yes mine still had it which is why initially I just tightened and didn't think anything of it, until I went to check my oil one day and I noticed they seemed loose...tightened then up and started checking them routinely..I had to use red lock tight to finally stop them from coming loose...probably just a fluke but just give them a once over occasionally, other then that you'll love them.
I will definitely pick up some red lock tight... Thanks for the tip! Road test complete... Very Hugh winds and passing semi... No movement whatsoever

Quick Reply: Daystar Hood Wranglers