Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

"Dealer Markup" and "Market Adjusted Value"

Old 11-02-2011, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Dealer Markup" and "Market Adjusted Value"

OK, I had to post this as it made me laugh out loud.

My daughter and I went to a semi-local dealer today (about 35-40min away) to stroll through their 2012 Wranglers. Unfortunatley, they didn't have any 2012s so we looked at the '11s. The very first one we saw was a 2dr Sport. No real special additions other than the factory options. However, the dealer had a $3,999 "Dealer Markup" and a $3,999 wheel package....and the wheels were just the regular Moabs. The tires weren't even the Rubi tires. They were the regular Sport tires. Total price for the Sport topped out just over $41k... yes you saw it right... Laughing, I moved to the next 2dr Sport, $37k and it had a "Market Adjusted Value" of $3,999. At this point I was laughing pretty good and ended up waving off a salesman before he made it halfway to me.

Sorry guys, I'm kicking myself as I wished I had snapped some pics before we walked off the lot. If I can get back there by this wekend, I'll try and get some shots...
Old 11-02-2011, 10:44 PM
JK Super Freak

how far was the next closest dealer? when they don't have much competition, they pull theses things out of their @$$.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:33 AM
JK Newbie

typical...

When I bought my old pickup, the dealer had added the 'corrosion protection' package for $1k, and then used white-out over that amount and changed it to $2k

Luckily, my wife worked for a GM supplier, which qualified us for invoice pricing. Plus, our salesman was a personal friend of mine & the finance manager was the wife of a co-worker.

I guess that you could say that the cards were stacked in our favor. All in all, we paid around $15k for a truck that was stickered at something like $22k
Old 11-03-2011, 05:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. I sure hope no one is buying them...
Old 11-03-2011, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

Local dealer by me had a few 2012's. One base 2 door had a $2000 chrome appearance package. Chrome door handles and grill. At least they did not have an ADM sticker too!! I try to never give them any business but needed some parts and only this dealer had them in stock. Not to mention it is hard to get into and out of the dealership. And usually no customer parking. I had to park in with the new vehicles. Always wondered how they can stay in business.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'll say it again; visit dealers only to take a look; then drive away w/o talking to the staff, talking in person is a total waste of time.
Almost all Jeep inventory can be found online; contact dealers only by phone or email; once a deal is agreed on, buy your Jeep.
The reason dealers have these insane mark-ups on vehicles is because uninformed people pay them!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

I have been looking around that area recently as well. I noticed there is one particular dealer (with 4 local lots... starts with an R) that has that famous second sticker with the "Adjusted Market Value" on each and every Jeep... I too just shook my head and left... I hope no one really pays them that price!

Can you PM which dealership you were at so I can save myself the time?

Originally Posted by HumblePie
OK, I had to post this as it made me laugh out loud.

My daughter and I went to a semi-local dealer today (about 35-40min away) to stroll through their 2012 Wranglers. Unfortunatley, they didn't have any 2012s so we looked at the '11s. The very first one we saw was a 2dr Sport. No real special additions other than the factory options. However, the dealer had a $3,999 "Dealer Markup" and a $3,999 wheel package....and the wheels were just the regular Moabs. The tires weren't even the Rubi tires. They were the regular Sport tires. Total price for the Sport topped out just over $41k... yes you saw it right... Laughing, I moved to the next 2dr Sport, $37k and it had a "Market Adjusted Value" of $3,999. At this point I was laughing pretty good and ended up waving off a salesman before he made it halfway to me.

Sorry guys, I'm kicking myself as I wished I had snapped some pics before we walked off the lot. If I can get back there by this wekend, I'll try and get some shots...

Quick Reply: "Dealer Markup" and "Market Adjusted Value"