Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dealership refusing to provide bill of sale

Old 07-10-2007, 06:57 AM
Zee
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm more concerned about the dealer tacking on money at time of delivery.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zee
I ordered my '08 Rubicon on Saturday, forgot to get a copy of the bill of sale. Went to get it today, and the sales guy says that the bill of sale is not finalized so he can't give me one until the date of delivery. They have my $500 deposit, but I have no paperwork supporting the sale. This is at Renfrew Chrysler in Calgary, Canada. I'm insisting on a Bill of Sale and not getting anywhere. Am I out of line in any way insisting on a Bill of Sale and asking for a firm $ figure owing at time of delivery?
You're not out of line at all. What you are asking for is exactly what should have happened, although you may be getting hung up on the term you're using. The term Bill Of Sale is usually used for the final sales document that is used only when you pay for the vehicle and the dealer transfers the Jeep to you. That's not what you want right now. But you do need something in writing.

In the US, the paperwork you're referring to is called a "Buyers Order", although it may go by a different name in Canada it still performs the same function. It is a printed form the dealer provides that contains their name/logo/address etc. On it they write your name/address/etc, and then put in writing the agreement between you, the Buyer, and them, the Dealer, specifying a particular vehicle make, year, model, color, options, and selling price. Once signed by both You and an authorized representative of the Dealer, this becomes a binding contract for Them; they must sell you the specified vehicle at the specified price. For you, this contract is not binding, you have the Option of purchasing that vehicle at that price. Should you choose not to follow through with the purchase, the Dealer may be allowed to keep your Deposit, depending on your applicable laws.

Without this Buyer's Order, there is no written contract, and the dealer is not legally bound to sell the Jeep to you at the agreed upon price. They will order the vehicle with your name on it, because a Sold Order will get built/delivered to them quicker than a regular Dealer Inventory Order. But once that Jeep arrives, they are free to screw with you over the price, raising it as high as they want.

Go back to the dealership, ask to speak to the General Manager, and tell him/her that you want your sales agreement in writing.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:20 AM
Zee
JK Freak

Thank you, that is the information I was looking for
Old 07-10-2007, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I must say, though, that the whole order process seems ridiculous to me. For what other product would we tolerate such an onerous buying process?
Old 07-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Zee
JK Freak

I think they have done business in this ridiculous way so long, that they don't know how to do it any other way. In a sense, Saturn got it right with fixed, no haggle pricing.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:46 AM
Zee
JK Freak

Oh get this, after much arguing, I had him fax the buy order (which is grossly incomplete), and it says I'm buying an '07 Jeep Rubicon... for an '08 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Factory order.

I'll be asking for me deposit back today. As they say in my business, fraud is in the details.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zee
I ordered my '08 Rubicon on Saturday, forgot to get a copy of the bill of sale. Went to get it today, and the sales guy says that the bill of sale is not finalized so he can't give me one until the date of delivery. They have my $500 deposit, but I have no paperwork supporting the sale. This is at Renfrew Chrysler in Calgary, Canada. I'm insisting on a Bill of Sale and not getting anywhere. Am I out of line in any way insisting on a Bill of Sale and asking for a firm $ figure owing at time of delivery?
WOW!!! You should deal with my dealer, they were GREAT!!! I order one Sat. 07/07/07 a '08 Rubicon 4-dr LOADED (no ash tray) and they printed me out the complete order sheet, gave me my price and didn't even want a deposit. They said if I didn't buy it, somebody else would the same day that it comes in... I bought a Saraha while I was there to hold me over...
Old 07-11-2007, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zee
Oh get this, after much arguing, I had him fax the buy order (which is grossly incomplete), and it says I'm buying an '07 Jeep Rubicon... for an '08 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Factory order.

I'll be asking for me deposit back today. As they say in my business, fraud is in the details.
Call Bill at www.JeepWarehouse.com He is great to deal with too and he'll ship the Jeep to you or you can fly to Indy and pick it up. I'd request my money back too...
Old 07-11-2007, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Zee
I have nothing in writing from them, which is weighing on me. Perhaps not a Bill of Sale, but a finalized price in writing with a signature from the sales manager or something, something showing the deposit paid, and the amount due upon delivery, it would be nice. I also did not get a VON# yet.

Maybe what I'm looking for is a purchase agreement signed by them with the price on it.
Make sure you get your order in WRITING - a computer printout listing every single option on the MODEL you are ordering - the receipt for the $500 is a separate matter. But if you do not have your order in writing I'd strongly suggest you get one NOW!
This is to make sure whoever entered the order on the system, entered it right - not like mine - I order a 4 door and here comes in a 2 door..... DARN! Salesman fault & sales manager fault too...
Old 07-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Zee
JK Freak

I sent a lengthy email this morning to the sales manager with a CC to the general manager of the dealership. Let's see what happens.

Quick Reply: Dealership refusing to provide bill of sale