Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dealing with the dealer

Old 11-21-2007, 10:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about the F&F discount, but conventional car-buying wisdom says that you should ALWAYS get their rock-bottom, absolute lowest price first - then talk trade-in. If they ask "Are you going to be trading in a vehicle?" you tell them that you're undecided, but just want to discuss the price of your Jeep first - they'll respect this usually.

You'll do best for yourself by shopping a few different dealerships, and getting a few different prices and offers for your trade. Then, you can go to the dealership of your choice, and tell them that they'll earn your business if they
1) beat the lowest price you received (show it to them - no harm there) AND
2) offer you more than your best offer on the trade-in (again, show it to them).

Ideally, the trade-in value you ask them to beat is from the same dealership as the best price you were offered, so that they know that there's a dealership out there willing to take business from them by clearing only a small margin.

I've had tremendous success haggling on automobile purchases and trade-ins, because I make it clear at the outset of negotiation that I know what my trade is worth, and know what I should be paying for the vehicle I'm looking to purchase. Once you declare that you're an educated buyer, most salespeople will drop their standard BS sales pitch and instead focus on giving you the best deal that they can.

Good luck! No matter the cost, you WILL love your JK!
Old 11-21-2007, 11:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call a few dealerships you don't plan on visiting. Tell them you were interested in a jeep, but wont be able to make it over. Then tell them what you want, and that you are up for the friends and family discount. I'd say get 3 quotes.

Then, go to your dealerships, and haggle. Get the best price you can, and if it's not within the average of the Friends and family discount, tell them about it. Then throw in a trade if possible.

I got mine at a killer deal. I visited several dealerships. I was about to buy one at sticker (best i could do after 2 dealerships and 6 hours), but for the hell of it, I went to another dealership 50 minutes out.

I told them I wasn't getting enough for my trade, and also told them another dealership was offering me a similar jeep for 500 under invoice (I had trouble finding "invoice" so I used an estimate: Edmunds numbers + 5 or 6 prices on ebay... and got an average) The dealership asked me how much I wanted for the trade, and I told them. He said he'd call around and get it for me.

Haggling took 25 minutes. Paperwork another hour (I read everything, and said I wouldn't sign without some throw-ins and a good APR (5.09 is what I got)).

I probably could've done better with a little more time, but I am very pleased paying $12,500 for a 2007 Wrangler (KBB said 5000 for my trade in... MAX... and that's what they gave me.... not bad for a full size pickup with a bent frame, and big v8 during the Gas Pump Crisis of 2007)

I think it was a good deal.... I could be wrong though. I kind of did this on my own, and I've never bought a single car before. (my others were bought off family members...)

Quick Reply: Dealing with the dealer