Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Debating a trade for a Rubicon...thoughts?!

Old 08-05-2015, 05:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is not usually the case. A max tow hard top sport may have 16/57 could and a Rubi soft top with no tow may have those as well. Generally sports are 14/56, 15/56, and 16/57 while rubis are generally 17/58, 18/59 or the unicorn 19/60. My 15 Rubi is actually an odd ball 17/59.

sent from my work leash
Old 08-05-2015, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lkjk
^if you don't get the need for the 4:1 tcase you're missing the point, as in don't need a rubi.

Also, the d30 vs the d44, it's the size of the ring gear that makes the difference, which ultimately decides on the size of the teeth. Yes the housing is going to be the same but that isn't why a d44 is better.

Seems like you didn't need a rubi or understand why people pay more
Nobody *needs* a rubi, we just want one and beefier ring gears are nice but kinda moot when your axle tubes and/or steering knuckles can bend just as easy as a sport. I'll give ya one on the NV241OR though... that seems to be the only Rubi-specific upgrade that stays on heavily modded rigs and is a pretty good TC. I still don't need 4:1 gears for what I do but it is a strong and reliable unit so it's a win in the end.

Anyway I knew what I was getting... I've been driving Jeeps for 20 years and this is my 6th one (2JKs, 2 TJs and 2 CJ5's). I'm not really interested in hardcore 'wheeling anymore... I just wanted something to (reliably) take the family out camping/exploring in the Utah backcountry and didn't want to do any large mods so the Rubi made sense.

One real benefit of going with a Rubicon is resale though... Wranglers are high as it is but Rubicon resale value is through the roof.

Last edited by Chango; 08-05-2015 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input folks. Sticking with my lil Altitude! Plus I don't want to remove the mods I have. So....She's going under the knife next week to get regeared, ARB's front and rear, and beefing up the 30...I know I know...People say it's silly to beef the 30 up but I didn't want to spring for a Dynatrac yet.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by urmyboyblue
Thanks for the input folks. Sticking with my lil Altitude! Plus I don't want to remove the mods I have. So....She's going under the knife next week to get regeared, ARB's front and rear, and beefing up the 30...I know I know...People say it's silly to beef the 30 up but I didn't want to spring for a Dynatrac yet.
I would hold off on that. I was bout to just change my ring and pinion the other day but someone on here gave me great advice. If you plan on doing something bigger in the future no point in opening it all up twice and spending money you don't need to. I would either wait and just put D44 front and rear later or beef up your D30 with no intent of going bigger down the line

Quick Reply: Debating a trade for a Rubicon...thoughts?!