Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Decline of JK forum

Old 12-27-2017, 11:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Yeah. I'm one of the crazy people that tracks every single gas fill up since my 2012 was new. When I hit Approximately 10,000 mile intervals I post my data on here. I think the stats are pretty interesting. MPG, MPG by month of year, CPU vs hand calc, costs incurred. I posted a 95,000 mile update last month and got zero responses.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think part of it is that the JK brought in a huge amount of new blood to the Jeeping scene. They were gung ho at first but it was just a phase and they've moved on to other hobbies.
I don't see the JL having as much success comparative to the JK because its not such a huge shift when looking at the transition from the TJ to the JK. I'm sure there will be more activity like others have stated because the JL is new. I'm looking forward to seeing more off road trips posted as people want to test their JL's. As with the decline in tech posts there are almost no off road trips posted in the NorCal section anymore. Its been a couple years since that section was active.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My thoughts are that it is both a seasonal thing (winter, holidays, etc.) plus the migration to places like Fakebook. I prefer the forums, mostly because it's more of a community. Whereas social media is full of idiots who have no idea what they're talking about. I rarely, and I mean RARELY, ever post on the Jeep centric FB groups, or reply to a post/question. Too many trolls. Too many keyboard komandos. Too many internet experts.

Blah.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Also, there is enough information on the various JK forums that people can find answers to their questions without posting.
x2

I've had my Jeep a year (and 6 days to be exact). I read posts on here almost everyday, their is just so much to learn; but I have only posted a handful of times. The info on here is great! I wish I could contribute more, but I just don't know enough yet.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think for me it was killing an app I liked and using this new garage talk nonsense.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Machoo
I think for me it was killing an app I liked and using this new garage talk nonsense.
I agree. For me, this was a big part of it. The scavenger hunt was one of my favorites. It seems there are only 3 of us interested and can't get one going again.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Yeah. I'm one of the crazy people that tracks every single gas fill up since my 2012 was new. When I hit Approximately 10,000 mile intervals I post my data on here. I think the stats are pretty interesting. MPG, MPG by month of year, CPU vs hand calc, costs incurred. I posted a 95,000 mile update last month and got zero responses.
For the record, yes crazy. I'm less than mildly interested in my own gas mileage, let alone somebody else's. I've often wondered what affliction causes individusls to do this. But to each his own, I suppose.

I also don't usually chime in on posts I care nothing about. But here I am.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Cutman
For the record, yes crazy. I'm less than mildly interested in my own gas mileage, let alone somebody else's. I've often wondered what affliction causes individusls to do this. But to each his own, I suppose.

I also don't usually chime in on posts I care nothing about. But here I am.
I starting keeping a log because I purchased the Chrysler lifetime warranty. I do my own maintenance. The dealer said I needed to keep proof of the maintenance I've performed. This kinda morphed into me also logging the fuel stuff in the same log book. It then became natural for me to put the data into excel. I do it to learn what the data shows, not because I actually care about the specific mpg's. If/when I sell, I bet the next owner will appreciate the detailed records and knowing that the Jeep was actually maintained extremely well. I'm 50 years old and this Jeep was the first brand new vehicle I've ever purchased.
The following 2 users liked this post by rob_engineer:
doc5339 (12-27-2017), Mr.T (02-02-2018)
Old 12-28-2017, 07:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I starting keeping a log because I purchased the Chrysler lifetime warranty. I do my own maintenance. The dealer said I needed to keep proof of the maintenance I've performed. This kinda morphed into me also logging the fuel stuff in the same log book. It then became natural for me to put the data into excel. I do it to learn what the data shows, not because I actually care about the specific mpg's. If/when I sell, I bet the next owner will appreciate the detailed records and knowing that the Jeep was actually maintained extremely well. I'm 50 years old and this Jeep was the first brand new vehicle I've ever purchased.
That actually sounds less crazy. Although tracking mpg doesn't prove maintenance, it makes a little more sense. And congrats on getting your first new vehicle. Its a big deal. Seriously.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:06 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Social. Media.

People are lazy and don't want to bother themselves with searching Google. Heaven forbid they do and end up on a forum where they have to do more than just type their stupid question out and wait for the minions to come give them the wrong answer.

It is frustrating and sad for the OGs, but people have moved away from this platform and on to social media.

Marcus

Quick Reply: Decline of JK forum