Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

defective JK softtop plastic clips

Old 04-24-2007, 03:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by venutoj
defective = faulty. look it up. thank you for all the posts; it seems like many jeep owners are having simliar issues. i don't want to make any modifications to the clips. i am going to call the dealer and see what they suggest. i need to find the root cause of the problem and post more. thanks again.
But there are many more who aren't having problems. Hell, I have a hard time taking mine off, so I don't ever do it. There is likely a specific problem related to this, and while I don't want to say operator error, it seems like it happens to the dual top guys more than the soft top only group. Perhaps there is some difference that is related to the hard top itself.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TORN
I moved my clips closer to the door, a quarter inch at a time till they seat well. If they are too far out they seem to pop off. I dont have any problems now.
EXACTLY what I had to do today, and now it fits great. If they're too far away from the door in back, they'll start to pop off from the front. FWIW I didn't have any windows in the soft top at all, and it still popped off in that position.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TrAvELAr
To date, I have not experienced this issue. I have driven with the driver and passenger windows down and the rear window installed. I have removed and reinstalled the rear windo on several occasions.
ditto for me...
Old 06-27-2007, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

i had the clips replace by the dealer and the dealer stated " this is happening to all the jeep wranglers and there is no way to fix it". they order me new clips and they seemed to work fine until today. i then emailed Jeep again and they told me to bring it to a different dealer. i don't see what that will do other than just order me new clips. but i will follow their advice until it its fixed or they issue a recall.

they should have kept them metal and mounted to the frame like the TJ.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem. From what I can see the pressure of the soft top tab (the part that tucks up into the clip) pulls up and out, unseating the clip. Mine holds for awhile but when it is in the sun or I'm driving and hit a bump it pops right off. The plastic of the clip is not strong enough to keep from bending.

One solution I saw: drill a screw through the clip and into the body. This was not an official write up or anything, I just happened to notice it in a picture somewhere. Actually I think it was two screws.

The solution I have been using: don't fully tuck the soft top tab all the way up behind the clip. Kind of do it half way. This way the pressure is pushing up and not back and up. Looks a little weird but it holds. Hopefully it is not damaging the tab.

Sorry my camera died and new one won't be here for a week or so.

Quick Reply: defective JK softtop plastic clips