Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Diesel!?

Old 02-15-2013, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NunoPerpetua
From the Jeep catalogue, the 2011+ 2.8 CRD sold in Europe has 410Nm@2.200-2.600rpm with manual gearbox and 460Nm@1.600-2.000rpm in autos. 200hp@3.600rpm

The 2007-2010 was something like 400Nm and 177hp.
The engine they would be putting in it now is 3.0 liter making 420ftlbs so its not the same engine as the ones in the older GC or the same as the ones in europe
Old 02-15-2013, 03:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
As for the Grand Cherokee diesel...I have one and so does my next door neighbor yah so obviously there was no demand......
2008 1/2 model was the end of them with the 3.0 litre engine.
Not saying it's a bad vehicle; but it wasn't a success.

It was offered in 07 and 08. During those years it made up less than 8% of GC sales. Most reviews said that it was nice, but at a base of 39k (6 years ago mind you), you might as well buy the Mercdes Benz the engine came from. The vehicle was dropped after only 2 years because Daimler-Chrysler did not want to find a way to utilize the $4000 exhaust system to pass new regulations.

Again, I am sure you and your neighbor enjoy them, but people obviously weren't lining up for them.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being that DC has stated that the next generation Wrangler is slated to go into production in 2016, maybe a diesel option will be available then?
Old 02-18-2013, 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

I've got a diesel in my 2012 UK Overland auto. It's needed here in the UK as fuel is rather expensive, filled up today and it 145.9 per litre 50uk pounds is about half a tank.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pwain

Look at sales volume. Wrangler had one of it's best years in 2012. GC sales have cooled since it's release. Also the JK is likely too far along in its lifecycle for a major update.
Wrangler shows its best year ever.
GC hasn't cooled. They sold more than JK and at a higher price. I don't see where they sold over 150k in a while. I'd say that's success.

Supply and demand. I guess we will be waiting on the JK.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:58 PM
JK Freak

There's NO confirmation on which diesel the wrangler will get, but they have said multiple times that it will come in the next generation, which leads me to think they will engineer the next one to fit the 3.0 and it's fancy exhaust. Alot of people post on here about how much they want one and will buy one. But many do not realize that it's been their mantra to only put the diesel in the top trim line as well. So you are looking at a Rubicon or Sahara with a $4500 option. The price to play will be north of $40K. And it still won't get 25 mpg judging by the GC's numbers unless they REALLY clean up the aerodynamics.

I see the 3.0 as Chryslers answer to CAFE 2016 in the trucks and SUV's. Right now the hemi is dirt cheap versus the diesel but as 2016 approaches I can see them ratcheting up the price to subsidize the diesel roll out and to balance their cafe score. It offers about a 20% improvement over the hemi but really isnt that much better than the Pentastar. I kinda expected more mpg's but if I read right both engines in the GC with the 8HP and 4x4 get 25 mpg. So for $4500 you get a slower, more complex ride that sucks more expensive fuel. These aren't gonna offer the payback of something like a Jetta diesel.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Flip94ta
There's NO confirmation on which diesel the wrangler will get, but they have said multiple times that it will come in the next generation, which leads me to think they will engineer the next one to fit the 3.0 and it's fancy exhaust. Alot of people post on here about how much they want one and will buy one. But many do not realize that it's been their mantra to only put the diesel in the top trim line as well. So you are looking at a Rubicon or Sahara with a $4500 option. The price to play will be north of $40K. And it still won't get 25 mpg judging by the GC's numbers unless they REALLY clean up the aerodynamics.

I see the 3.0 as Chryslers answer to CAFE 2016 in the trucks and SUV's. Right now the hemi is dirt cheap versus the diesel but as 2016 approaches I can see them ratcheting up the price to subsidize the diesel roll out and to balance their cafe score. It offers about a 20% improvement over the hemi but really isnt that much better than the Pentastar. I kinda expected more mpg's but if I read right both engines in the GC with the 8HP and 4x4 get 25 mpg. So for $4500 you get a slower, more complex ride that sucks more expensive fuel. These aren't gonna offer the payback of something like a Jetta diesel.
Youre missing the point. shit tons of torque at low rpm's I dont care if it costs 5k more i dont care if its slower < i dident buy a JK to drag race it > I just want to pull a house down the trail with me if i feel like it and i only want to rev to 2 or 3 k to do it.
Diesels are not complex. all the emissions they cram all over it make it that way but once the warentee is gone ide strip all that off it anyway so its not much of an issue.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:12 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Jeepdreams92
So why do they allow the diesel in the GC while not in the wrangler
Different vehicle class definition by weight/usage.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:15 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Jeepdreams92
Thats what i was saying not to trash on the GC but there is more of a buz about the wrangler diesel than a GC diesel. So why would they make the GC first
They've always made ......California ......vehicle classifications and usage.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:23 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by pwain
So I guess the solution is to move to the middle east? Don't understand the point.
Middle east/Northern Europe/Eastern Europe/Australia-Oceania/Asia......The entire world except Canada/USA/Mexico.
About 10 % of the world population is not allowed to buy a diesel wrangler and a lot of other vehicles equiped with them around the world.

Quick Reply: Diesel!?