Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Diff gear oil capacity and viscosity

Old 04-30-2016, 02:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jktonka
I'm sorry this may be a dumb question but even with the front and back both being 44's the front takes less than the rear?
Yes the front takes less fluid than the rear. While they are both 44s the rear 44 is a larger housing. It takes more fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 04-30-2016, 03:02 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by tjkamp
Yes the front takes less fluid than the rear. While they are both 44s the rear 44 is a larger housing. It takes more fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
And with the rear, some of the additional fluid goes down the axle tubes to the outer bearings.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The important thing is to fill to the bottom of the fill hole with the OEM covers.
If you have aftermarket covers with the higher fill hole, fill to a level just above the bottom of the axle tube, so oil can get to the axle bearings.
Yes, I can attest to only fill to a level just above the bottom of the axle tube, and not to the aftermarket fill hole. If you fill to the fill hole on a "higher capacity" cover then you're asking for a HUUGGE mess on the bottom side from the excess being blown out the breather tube. I won't make that mistake again.

I'm assuming the fill hole is higher on the aftermarkets to actually compensate for a greater pinion angle to correct the driveshaft angle on lifted jeeps...so the oil won't spill out with the 'lower' OEM fill hole.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:12 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheemsaf

I'm assuming the fill hole is higher on the aftermarkets to actually compensate for a greater pinion angle to correct the driveshaft angle on lifted jeeps...so the oil won't spill out with the 'lower' OEM fill hole.
That is correct. And the hotter it is, the more likely that mess. Mine didn't occur until I drove through 113° temps in Tucson. Learn to fill diffs to proper level.

Quick Reply: Diff gear oil capacity and viscosity