Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

disconnected sway bar

Old 01-26-2011, 07:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disconnected sway bar

hey everyone.

today i disconected my sway bar...its fine driving around town and all..just wondering...will it harm my jeep in the long run? is there i reason why i would want to re connect it when not wheeling?

thanks

Sean
Old 01-26-2011, 07:41 PM
JK Freak

not sure if will hurt your jeep, but I am pretty sure it is dangerous to drive on the road if your sway bar disconnected. I think it will make it less stable.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:44 PM
JK Freak

The only damage it will do to your Jeep is when it rolls over in a corner.
It's there to keep you alive.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sway bar is there to reduce body roll, more precisely frame roll. Imagine going through a high speed turn and the body leaning out during the turn. To put it in plan english you are more likely to roll the jeep during normal highway driving. Any time at high speeds, you make a quick turn with the steering wheel you are more likely to use the roll cage.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I could be wrong but I would think that your insurance company might have issues with it being disconnected after investigating your rollover. Just get a set of quick disconnects.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:33 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks for all the replys. I will reconnect it after my wheeling trip Saturday. Out ere in Montana there arnt really highways. Therefore there arnt really any high speed turns. I drove all day today fine. It did feel a little more "flighty" but just the body swayed not the wheels and everything. I wil buy some quicker disconnects sooner or later.

Thanks!

Sean

Quick Reply: disconnected sway bar