Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Do I really need new Axels for 37"s?

Old 03-31-2011, 06:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do I really need new Axels for 37"s?

So here is the deal. I have a 4" lift on right now with 33's, I look like a rollerskate, I am afraid I may look that way even with 35's...I don't offroad...yes you read that right I DONT REALLY OFFROAD...a power line here or there, lots of beaches, some back country snowboarding thats it. Do I really need new axels for 37s if i was to go that rout?
Old 03-31-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need to buy them. You can however sleeve and gusset your current ones to add some more protection. If you won't be going hard on the skinny pedal, you will be fine for now.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:26 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a 4.5" lift with flat flares and 35s and I wheel the chit out of it. Going to 37s soon and I don't expect to break anything. The D30 in front has been beefed up, it's not locked and I drive carefully. If it breaks I'll fix it. If it breaks repeatedly, I'll replace it.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wheel and run 37's on a locked d-30, just run it till something breaks, then fix it.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Probably not

Judging by the type/amount of wheeling you do, you can probably get away with running 37"s. That is a huge leap from 33"s to 37"s
Old 03-31-2011, 06:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GCM 2
Judging by the type/amount of wheeling you do, you can probably get away with running 37"s. That is a huge leap from 33"s to 37"s
well I knew the 33s werent enough, they were just supposed to be a hold me over...I as to gas mileage conscious...but sometimes I see 35's, and dont think they look big enough, but what cna I expect to get in a 6 speed with a 4 inch lift and 37s like 10mpg highway??? thats just...unbarable
Old 03-31-2011, 07:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jknit
well I knew the 33s werent enough, they were just supposed to be a hold me over...I as to gas mileage conscious...but sometimes I see 35's, and dont think they look big enough, but what cna I expect to get in a 6 speed with a 4 inch lift and 37s like 10mpg highway??? thats just...unbarable
It is hard to predict your mileage, this seems to be one of the most contested subjects on the forum. I have a huge ass JK that is not exactly light due to my build spec's, however I seem to get better mileage than guys with almost stock two doors at times. I see roughly 14 mpg around town and between 13-15mpg hwy depending on terrain. Now some people will say that is horrible, but considering I run front and rear 1 ton axles, 40" tires (with matching spare), a good bit of armor around the jeep, those numbers are decent. Before the recent mods to my rig, when it was mostly stock with 35"s, I saw about 17mpg around town and 19-21mpg hwy. Also, my Superchips flashpaq helps out with the better mileage too.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GCM 2
It is hard to predict your mileage, this seems to be one of the most contested subjects on the forum. I have a huge ass JK that is not exactly light due to my build spec's, however I seem to get better mileage than guys with almost stock two doors at times. I see roughly 14 mpg around town and between 13-15mpg hwy depending on terrain. Now some people will say that is horrible, but considering I run front and rear 1 ton axles, 40" tires (with matching spare), a good bit of armor around the jeep, those numbers are decent. Before the recent mods to my rig, when it was mostly stock with 35"s, I saw about 17mpg around town and 19-21mpg hwy. Also, my Superchips flashpaq helps out with the better mileage too.
see thats just shocking to me...I am getting 15mpg on 33s right now...what the hell am I doing wrong!!! I feel like I am driving like a grandma too haha!!! and I have a 6 speed manual should i be getting BETTER gas mileage
Old 04-01-2011, 05:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just put my 4" on with 37" Toyos and then used the AEV Procal to recalibrate...my mileage right now is showing 16.1 MPG....not bad to me
Old 04-01-2011, 05:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Unproven theory

Originally Posted by jknit
see thats just shocking to me...I am getting 15mpg on 33s right now...what the hell am I doing wrong!!! I feel like I am driving like a grandma too haha!!! and I have a 6 speed manual should i be getting BETTER gas mileage
When I was getting ready to purchase my new 09' JK, a friend of mine who was already driving an 07' JK Rubicon told me this unproven theory. He said he had heard thru the Jeep community rumor mill that as soon as you get your new jeep, drive/accelerate the thing fairly hard during the first weeks because the computer "learns" your driving style. Then you back off to a more realistic normal driving pattern. So, I applied the theory. Not sure how much water that theory holds, but my JK has always been a very quick accelerating (when I need it) and exceptional on mileage. I'm just saying there may be some truth to it

Edit: I have an auto trans too

Last edited by GCM 2; 04-01-2011 at 05:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Do I really need new Axels for 37"s?