Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Do you have a hard time choosing you next mod?

Old 05-10-2011, 02:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you have a hard time choosing you next mod?

Grr cant sleep, have all these ideas and thoughts on my head on what I should spend my money next on for parts on the Jeep. Anyone else have this problem?
I dont gotta worry about my lift, I already have all my parts sitting in the living room wait to go on. But its small little pieces that Im itching to do. Heres my list of mods, mostly cosmetic:

Tramp Stamp
trampstamp backlighting
Autobots Emblems
Finish off my audio system(waiting on otterbox case)
retrofit 2011 rear cargo trim and storage tray
backup camera and screen above rearview mirror
airhorns/onboard air

Who else has a problem choosing your next mod? This bug is bad for me haha
Old 05-10-2011, 03:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fastrat350
Grr cant sleep, have all these ideas and thoughts on my head on what I should spend my money next on for parts on the Jeep. Anyone else have this problem?
I dont gotta worry about my lift, I already have all my parts sitting in the living room wait to go on. But its small little pieces that Im itching to do. Heres my list of mods, mostly cosmetic:

Tramp Stamp
trampstamp backlighting
Autobots Emblems
Finish off my audio system(waiting on otterbox case)
retrofit 2011 rear cargo trim and storage tray
backup camera and screen above rearview mirror
airhorns/onboard air

Who else has a problem choosing your next mod? This bug is bad for me haha
I feel your exact pain. I had a TJ once before and I had big dreams for it. 37in tires, 4in long arm lift, all kinds of crazy mods, axel swaps, lockers and such. When that blew up on me (with no mods done to it) I decided to get a JK.

got the JK and found the Mopar Underground Overland Wrangler. HOLY CRAP was I excited when I saw that.

I don't do a whole lot of off roading because there are little to no trails where I live but once I figured that building a reliable, capable daily driver Jeep would be better than going all crazy I have some kind of goal in mind now. It's just a matter of getting the parts little by little. Unfortunately, I found it hard still to pick out what I want first.

Eventually I came to the conclusion that keep your goal in mind, keep in mind how you off road, rocks, mud, trails etc and figure out what will benefit you next. A little guidance from friends and family helps but if they don't have Jeeps they won't understand the desire to upgrade constantly and always be on the forums or jeep sites looking at parts or staring at catalogues full of fancy Jeep parts. Its a jeep thing....they wouldn't understand!!!!

Last edited by goncalo; 05-10-2011 at 03:23 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I find my next mods easy to pick out for any vehicle I own. I have a hard time finding the money to pay for them as I refuse to charge anything I can't payoff when the bill comes in.

When I was younger I loaded up a credit card just to "mod" my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Worst thing I ever did. $15k later and I was sucking wind. Took a long time to dig me out of that hole and I learned a tough lesson.

And to this day my eyes are bigger than my wallet. I just have more self control.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm torn mostly between some kind of new fender flare or a new rear bumper and tire carrier.

I don't need new flares as my wheel/tire/lift combo provides enough clearance to avoid rubbing but I want a more agressive look. Plus, with my setup, it almost looks like I have no lift becasue of the factory flares filling up so much space.

I don't need a new rear bumperor tire carrier......yet. My wheel/tire combo puts the overall weight at 98 pounds vs. stock of about 80 pounds so there isn't that much more weight hanging there.

I would also like a bigger lift but I know the cost of doing something like that will be way more than just the cost of the lift since I would have other issues (driveshaft, adjustable control arms, etc..). So I am focused on the above two items for now.

Of course, when the Rugged Ridge snorkel comes out later this year, that will jump to the top of my list.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:48 AM
JK Freak

Nope... Just the$$$...
Old 05-10-2011, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
i had dreams of building a bad @$$ jeep bought a 2011 and now im thinkin why not just keep it stock its nice as is and it wont break the bank trying to pay for somthings you realy dont need , i cant afford to beat a new jeep that cost 23000 bucks and it drives so nice stock why mess it up ! maybe as i replace things over the years i might buy after market stuff but realy, some of the people i see are emptying wallets out just for the look and realy dont need this stuff ! not that i dont understand the desire to but sometimes less is more !
I completely agree. keep it simple is the best method for reliability. Over time I would picture doing upgrades to make the vehicle stronger and better but throwing big meats on it and a lift before you make your first payment is not always the best move. Upgrade the stock tires to tires with better traction and add some lights and other minor stuff as you wheel and see the need for it. Once the jeep is almost paid off and the warranty is out the window (unless unlimited powertrain) then maybe consider other modifications to make it cooler but i agree. Brand new or expensive I would steer away from the crazy mods.

Unless of course you don't care and have the bones to do it then more power to ya...
Old 05-10-2011, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Koko;2281297]I find my next mods easy to pick out for any vehicle I own. I have a hard time finding the money to pay for them as I refuse to charge anything I can't payoff when the bill comes in.

Exactly what i was going to say..year to go till pay off then i will have extra 370 a month for mods. That's when i'll get my 33s hopefully.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

If I had the problem of having to much money to spend on mods I'd be sleeping like a baby.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

im not saying im made of money, I already have 35's on, and a new lift kit to go on next, along with new diff covers and oil sitting in my room. Lastnight I wasnt sure what I wanted to do next, i do one mode at time usually. I found a good deal on the parts to retrofit the 2011 stuff in the rear cargo area. Trampstamp is just an appearance thing Im still planning, I want to install the trampstamp using the factory tire carrier holes on the tailgate, but I also plan to make the Poison spyder glow thru with the use of EL lighting. Final appearance for that is bolting it on with allen head bolts, and billet washers :P just for that extra unique look, kinda like the rock ring bolts on the gnarly rock crawlers or buggy's. The onboard air is gonna be the expensive one that Im still saving money for, I plan to setup some airhorns, but I also want the ability to use the system for tires and such, not just a cheap setup to only handle air horns.

I've already made my decision on my next mod for this month and it is to retrofit the 2011 rear cargo stuff, got a good deal lined up on those parts.

Tramp stamp setup I plan to rock is gonna be around 70 bucks, including trampstamp, lighting and custom bolts and washers, maybe even less.

Those two would be my priority for now till onboard air, autobot emblems and rear camera are the future end of summer mods after onboard air goes in

I do all my own work so I save labor money for myself, friends shop would install my new lift kit for 150 but I rather save that money and do it myself
Old 05-10-2011, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fastrat350
im not saying im made of money, I already have 35's on, and a new lift kit to go on next, along with new diff covers and oil sitting in my room. Lastnight I wasnt sure what I wanted to do next, i do one mode at time usually. I found a good deal on the parts to retrofit the 2011 stuff in the rear cargo area. Trampstamp is just an appearance thing Im still planning, I want to install the trampstamp using the factory tire carrier holes on the tailgate, but I also plan to make the Poison spyder glow thru with the use of EL lighting. Final appearance for that is bolting it on with allen head bolts, and billet washers :P just for that extra unique look, kinda like the rock ring bolts on the gnarly rock crawlers or buggy's. The onboard air is gonna be the expensive one that Im still saving money for, I plan to setup some airhorns, but I also want the ability to use the system for tires and such, not just a cheap setup to only handle air horns.

I've already made my decision on my next mod for this month and it is to retrofit the 2011 rear cargo stuff, got a good deal lined up on those parts.

Tramp stamp setup I plan to rock is gonna be around 70 bucks, including trampstamp, lighting and custom bolts and washers, maybe even less.

Those two would be my priority for now till onboard air, autobot emblems and rear camera are the future end of summer mods after onboard air goes in

I do all my own work so I save labor money for myself, friends shop would install my new lift kit for 150 but I rather save that money and do it myself

what the f is a tramp stamp and why do people put autobot stickers on their jeeps?

Quick Reply: Do you have a hard time choosing you next mod?