Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Doe anyone else find hill start assist to be too intrusive?

Old 02-03-2011, 02:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeep_creep
You can turn off the seat belt chime!!!!!!!! Please tell me how,
I'll preface this with the fact that I always wear my seatbelt; however, I might be halfway up the driveway or whatever before it's gets clicked. Those few yards in the driveway or pulling away from a drive through window (had to release seatbelt to get wallet) are subject to that intolerable chime. I plan to rectify this annoyance soon:

BeltAlert�� can be enabled or disabled by your authorized dealer or by following these steps:
NOTE: The following steps must occur within the first 60 seconds of the ignition switch being turned to the ON/RUN or START position. Chrysler Group LLC does not recommend deactivating BeltAlert��.
1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, and buckle the driver’s seat belt.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine), and wait for the Seat Belt Reminder Light to turn off.
3. Within 60 seconds of starting the vehicle, unbuckle and then re-buckle the driver’s seat belt at least three times within 10 seconds, ending with the seat belt buckled.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position. A single chime will sound to signify that you have successfully completed the programming.
NOTE: Watch for the Seat Belt Reminder Light to turn on while the seat belt retracts and turn off while re- buckling the seat belt.
BeltAlert�� can be reactivated by repeating this procedure.
NOTE: Although BeltAlert�� has been deactivated, the Seat Belt Reminder Light will continue to illuminate while the driver’s seat belt remains unfastened.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just want to add my experience with the hill assist. It had never been an issue for me beofre but on one wheeling trip I was climbing a large boulder and on my first attempt (trying it open/open) I was unable to make it up. I was sitting on the boulder with my front tires halfway up and rear tires on the ground and my Jeep slipped out of 4wd-lo (so I was basically in neutral). I was unable to get it back into gear so I released my brake and tried to roll back but the stupid hill assist was stuck! It took a few guys to push me off the rock so I could re-engage my 4wd. Not fun!
Old 02-04-2011, 01:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toymaster
My advice is to turn the HSA off and see if it solves your problem. It may not be the HSA just the wonderful 3.8L. First thing I noticed about my 08 was how easy it died when releasing the clutch. Even on flat ground I have to give it a lot of fuel to not stall. I attributed it to lack of motor torque at idle RPM. I've been driving manuals for 25 years so I too believe I have the experience needed and yet I have stalled the jeep more times than I can count at red lights.

No matter your age or experience it is embarrassing.

I stalled a ton when I first got the thing. Thank goodness i did some research and found that the JK learns your driving style and adjusts throttle sensitivity accordingly. I was about to take it back to the dealership.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:44 AM
JK Super Freak

for those with 35's and the hill start assist, do you find you really have to give it gas and slip the clutch out lightly, then it lugs down for a second, and takes off normaly?

My wife refuses to drive the JK because it stalls to easily with stop and go in the city. Even i stall it once in a while, maybe every couple of weeks because of this.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toymaster
My advice is to turn the HSA off and see if it solves your problem. It may not be the HSA just the wonderful 3.8L. First thing I noticed about my 08 was how easy it died when releasing the clutch. Even on flat ground I have to give it a lot of fuel to not stall. I attributed it to lack of motor torque at idle RPM. I've been driving manuals for 25 years so I too believe I have the experience needed and yet I have stalled the jeep more times than I can count at red lights.

No matter your age or experience it is embarrassing.
I've been driving manuals for 15 years and I've killed my '11 more than I did during my first month of driving a stick.

i DO however love the anti stall feature in 4lo. I can't kill it if i try.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I turned that damn thing off and it will stay that way. It is now more predictable on hills - acts like all the other rigs I've driven for 50 years. I didn't need HSA on those vehicles and don't need it on this one.

Also, it doesn't drop speed so fast anymore when I lift on the highway. I think it was applying some brake, which is just plain stupid!

There's a place for automation - just not on my Jeep! Mechanically I like the JK a lot but they can stick the computers.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:41 AM
JK Super Freak

i tried the dance to disable it but i'm not sure if it worked.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by The_Yeti
i tried the dance to disable it but i'm not sure if it worked.
Take it to the nearest hill to find out! Haha
Old 07-01-2011, 11:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by im-ocd
I'll preface this with the fact that I always wear my seatbelt; however, I might be halfway up the driveway or whatever before it's gets clicked. Those few yards in the driveway or pulling away from a drive through window (had to release seatbelt to get wallet) are subject to that intolerable chime. I plan to rectify this annoyance soon:

BeltAlert�� can be enabled or disabled by your authorized dealer or by following these steps:
NOTE: The following steps must occur within the first 60 seconds of the ignition switch being turned to the ON/RUN or START position. Chrysler Group LLC does not recommend deactivating BeltAlert��.
1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, and buckle the driver’s seat belt.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine), and wait for the Seat Belt Reminder Light to turn off.
3. Within 60 seconds of starting the vehicle, unbuckle and then re-buckle the driver’s seat belt at least three times within 10 seconds, ending with the seat belt buckled.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position. A single chime will sound to signify that you have successfully completed the programming.
NOTE: Watch for the Seat Belt Reminder Light to turn on while the seat belt retracts and turn off while re- buckling the seat belt.
BeltAlert�� can be reactivated by repeating this procedure.
NOTE: Although BeltAlert�� has been deactivated, the Seat Belt Reminder Light will continue to illuminate while the driver’s seat belt remains unfastened.
Sweet!!! Now, if someone would just come with a rain dance that would stop my headlights from coming on when I unlock with Keyless Entry. (Can be done with EVIC, but my JK does not have EVIC.)
Old 10-03-2011, 01:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dralphy
If you don't like the way the hill assist works I believe there's a way to turn it off, a quick search will yield an answer I believe.

EDIT: Here you go, if you wish
HSA Off
If you wish to turn off the HSA system, follow this
procedure:
1. Start with the engine off and vehicle in PARK (automatic
transmission) or NEUTRAL with clutch out
(manual transmission) with wheels straight. Apply parking
brake on manual transmission vehicle.
2. Start the engine.
3. With the engine running, the brake applied, and the
clutch out, rotate the steering wheel 180° counterclockwise
from center.
4. Press ESP OFF switch four times within twenty seconds.
5. Rotate the steering wheel 360° clockwise (180° clockwise
from center).
6. Cycle ignition switch OFF then ON.
7. If the sequence was completed properly, the "ESP/
TCS Indicator Light" will blink several times to confirm
HSA is off.
Steps 1-7 must be completed within 90 seconds to turn off
HSA. Repeat steps 1-7 to re-enable HSA functionality.

Thanks will try today

Quick Reply: Doe anyone else find hill start assist to be too intrusive?