Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Does your 2010 feel like it is braking when you let off the gas and coast?

Old 11-04-2010, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all pretty normal.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel the same thing in my '07.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like it, it feels like the transmission is down shifting. My motorhome does the same thing. Much easier on brakes.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I definitely noticed it on my brand 2010 jk. Thought I was in trouble till I saw this thread. So it's a way to save gas or brake pads or what is the intention of it?
Old 11-04-2010, 08:24 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

What's funny is a couple years ago, people were complaining because the JK didn't have enough engine braking.
There will always be complainers, no matter how things are made.

Anyway, at the time, I did a little research on my '08 JK.
Going down a hill with foot off the gas pedal, the throttle would stay slightly open (12%, IIRC), and the pulse width would remain at about 1.2ms or so.

Now, under the same conditions, the pulse width goes to 0.0ms. I can feel it when it shuts off, and when it comes back on. The throttle setting didn't change from before.

I believe it was reprogrammed when I brought it in for the "hot oil" reflash. They always update all the software if there is a new version available.

It didn't bother me before, and I'm glad it does it now. It reduces the amount of braking required when going down those long hills.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ukie jk
Hate to sound like an ass, but maybe if you didn't "stomp" on it you wouldn't waste more fuel? - jus sayin'

I've had mine for a little over a week and it didn't take long to adjust to it. I find that I don't shift the auto as much, and with the OD button where it is on the 2010 it makes life easier.

-Matt
Unfortunately, lack of engine power and the unability to coast on the highway means you have to. Thanks for your input though!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ukie jk
So shifting into neutral to "coast" on the highway would not be a solution?

It almost sounds like your coasting from 70 to 20 then expect it to get back to 70 like a sports car? All the while your driving a 4x4 with large tires.

After reading a lot of threads of people complaining about the power had me concerned about getting one. After driving one and understanding the driving habits of some I can see where they are coming from. If it feels that underpowered stick a v8 in it. 20 years ago My friends fj with a 350 in it was fun, his brothers with a vette motor was ridiculous.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you should NEVER shift to neutral to coast. It's not good, at least what I've heard
Old 11-04-2010, 12:58 PM
JK Super Freak

....OP, I bet you wish you had posted this question in the forum before letting the stealership rip open your transmission 9 times. Ouch.

I wonder if the Superchip Flashpaq tuner would help eliminate this or change the shift points a bit. worth a try. Even if it doesn't, at least you'll enjoy the benefits of the tuner and increased get up and go.

OR, time to just lift it, add some 35's and re-gear!
Old 11-04-2010, 01:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a Superchip and problem solved!
Old 11-04-2010, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2010 Rubicon and do not notice any unusual braking feeling. Mine coasts just the way I would think it should. My daily driving highway has a couple of lights on it and I can see them for some distance. If I let off the gas, as soon as I see a yellow or red light, it coasts very well and smooth.

Quick Reply: Does your 2010 feel like it is braking when you let off the gas and coast?