Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Driveability Survey For Modified JK's

Old 02-10-2011, 04:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveability Survey For Modified JK's

With modifications made to your JK are you disappointed with the way it handles on the street?
Old 02-10-2011, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

My tires really bounce around in the grooves in the highway left by big rigs. It's pretty annoying, but I like having big tires.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Driveability

I have 35's and it wanders like crazy. Everything is tight and new, but im headed to local alighnment shop next week trying to figure it out. I know its a jacked up jeep but dang it grabs the grooves in road. I have a 3 inch skyjacker basic lift.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

I would agree 35" tires do make highway driving alittle more challenging if you add in strong wind it almost sucks but I made these choices so I will live with it.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bigT
I have 35's and it wanders like crazy. Everything is tight and new, but im headed to local alighnment shop next week trying to figure it out. I know its a jacked up jeep but dang it grabs the grooves in road. I have a 3 inch skyjacker basic lift.
If you didn't accomodate your caster accordingly for your lift/tires then you will have flighty, wandering steering.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:49 PM
JK Newbie

meh mines a lil more harsh since i put the lift and wheels but i didnt by my jeep for its onroad comfort anyway..
Old 02-10-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

2.5 inch TF coil lift and 35's and I love it ,rides smoother/softer on road
Old 02-11-2011, 05:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SLVR07
With modifications made to your JK are you disappointed with the way it handles on the street?
My 4.5" long arm with KM2 35's had an awesome street ride, I was really surprised how well it drove on the road.

However, due to bushing wear issues (and they're back ordered), I am replacing my entire suspension with another manufacturer equivalent long arm kit (plus new balljoints, F\R trackbars, Fox 2.5 shocks and bump stops), I am only keeping the 4.5" coils, extended brake lines and sway bar links. This rebuild is in process, I hope to be completed by next weekend.

Last edited by Enclocal; 02-11-2011 at 05:20 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Rough Country 3.25 lift, which is their 2.5 coil lift with 3/4 inch spacers. I stacked an additional 1/2 inch spacer to compensate for winch and bumper. I have 305-70-17s Goodyear MTRs with Kevlar load range D. I have adjustable track bar in the front and relocation bracket in the rear.

My Jeep drives like shit. good thing it rocks off road, which is the reason I bought it. the worst thing about my jeep is the rough ride that the tire and shock combo give me. I feel like my teeth are going to fall out when I hit a bump. I have only 26 psi in tires and it is still horrible. I think it is the RC shocks. It gets worse in the cold. It has been so cold in WNY this year that I am getting flat spotting with radials, it is crazy.

The flightly steering doesnt bother me. Just got to hang on with two hands and pay attention. I eventully will get a better lift with Bilstein or teraflex shocks but I got more important updgrades to do first.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:27 PM
JK Freak

I have a 2" TF BB lift and 285/70/17 BFG KM2 mud T/A's. The alignment was checked after the install and was within specs. It may ride a bit rougher but handles nice and does not seem to wonder. I think the 2" lift is the breaking point, if you go more than that you are more apt to have geometry issues....just my thought.

Quick Reply: Driveability Survey For Modified JK's