Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Driveline boot failure. :)

Old 06-28-2008, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveline boot failure. :)

Well I went out wheeling today and along with getting the first body damage (minor...a bit of pinch seam mashage), breaking in the OEM gas tank skids, shock mounts, and transfer case skid, I tore the front driveshaft boot. It probably only tore partially, but I drove it back down with it making a racket and it tore all the way around and I took the front half of it off.

Question is how long can I run it before upgrading to a new shaft? I dont plan on wheeling too much...maybe once or twice a month through the rest of the summer. Is there any temp. fixes for it?

Just looking for ideas of what others have done in this situation.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:20 PM
JK Junkie

same ole story!!!
This is a common occurrence due to the gained articulation of the lift installed.lots of posts about it on here.
mine has been torn off for a couple of months now. i did it right after MY FT ultimate lift was installed. mine is still ok,no problems. guess it would depend on how much dirt and dust you get in there though.mine still does not make any noise. i have to get a new front aftermarket shaft that is smaller in diameter to remedy the problem just have not did it yet.

hope that helps.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:59 PM
JK Freak

Me too! My boot was gone last June of 07 and now its 08 and 4 Moab trips later and still keeps on ticking.......
Old 07-24-2008, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

My dealer warranty'd mine since it caused my cv joint (transfer case side of front driveshaft) on my 4 door moded jk.

they also cut the transfer case skid back a bit (this is what causes the boot to get sliced) so it won't happen again!

i would check with your dealer to see if they will warranty the boot.

I've heard from several on here that it is not available (the boot) by itself.

If you verify this is the case, take some length and diameter measurements, and call drivetrain industries and they may be able to get you one to fit!

never a bad idea to get it replaced if possible before more junk gets in there and causes damage to the innards!

Quick Reply: Driveline boot failure. :)