Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Drivetrain question

Old 10-11-2013, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivetrain question

My jeep was wrecked and the body shop installed a rubicon axle in the front instead of the dana 30. The 4.10 gear ratio is different than the 3.73 in the rear. I've got the replacements for the rear but havnt had time to have them installed yet. They didn't install the front driveshaft back but I'm not sure why. I know it turns even in 2 wheel drive but will it hurt to put it on and not engage 4wd.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Do NOT install the driveshaft till you re-gear the rear axle. That is why they ddin't put the driveshaft back in. You would have your yokes spinning at different speeds and even though not engaged will be bad, especially if accidentally engaged.
If you had lock out hubs where you could unlock them and not have any rotation coming from the front axle that would be a different story.
Now a different question, does it have the E-locker? If so you could look at wiring it up so it would be functional.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cdenny
My jeep was wrecked and the body shop installed a rubicon axle in the front instead of the dana 30. The 4.10 gear ratio is different than the 3.73 in the rear. I've got the replacements for the rear but havnt had time to have them installed yet. They didn't install the front driveshaft back but I'm not sure why. I know it turns even in 2 wheel drive but will it hurt to put it on and not engage 4wd.

For gods sake DO NOT install that shaft!! if you do things will go BOOM
Old 10-11-2013, 02:12 PM
JK Junkie

DO NOT INSTALL THE SHAFT. Oh sorry, that was covered already.

Wow ... Thanks JkF lol
Old 10-11-2013, 05:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If they have the axle shafts in it will turn. Remove just the inner part of the axle shafts and leave the outside part of the shaft in the wheel bearings or you can ruin the wheel bearings too.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:00 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Like said above awesome they installed a d44 instead of a d30
Old 10-12-2013, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input. I was getting mixed reviews from people where I live. The driveshaft was damaged in the accident anyway and hit the transmission pan so might be able to install a better one now.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
Do NOT install the driveshaft till you re-gear the rear axle. That is why they ddin't put the driveshaft back in. You would have your yokes spinning at different speeds and even though not engaged will be bad, especially if accidentally engaged. If you had lock out hubs where you could unlock them and not have any rotation coming from the front axle that would be a different story. Now a different question, does it have the E-locker? If so you could look at wiring it up so it would be functional.
Yes. It has the e locker.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain question