Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

driving laws in KY

Old 02-02-2008, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driving laws in KY

Hey I was wondering if any Kentuckians out there know the laws about driving jeeps on the interstate without doors. I have seen people ride around Louisville without the doors or top...but wondered if anyone knew the LAW?????

If not would anyone know where I can look it up? I have been doing some google searches and come up empy handed.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can't guarantee what the law is. I can tell you I have driven around Lexington, Georgetown, etc etc etc in my TJ with doors off, no mirrors on numerous occasions. We've driven as a group to Livingston and Stanton, which is: I-75, I-64 and Mountain Parkway. I've even sat there with my foot sticking out on the ledge and never had any problems. We've had the doors off the JK a few times so far and have not had any issue yet either.

None of my friends have had any issue either to date.

I do recommend getting a side mirror to attach when the doors are off, it does make things easier (I finally got one, haven't checked if it'll fit the JK).
Old 02-02-2008, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thinking more about it. I think the only rule is when driving with no doors on you are requred to have three items. One jug of moonshine, a banjo and one firearm. I think.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

LOL!!!! Yeah the main place we go is climbing in the red river gorge. And there the moonshine is a must!

Thanks for the input!
Old 02-03-2008, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Most states post their statutes online these days. I notice Kentucky does. Check the state Web site.
If there is a law requiring doors, KRS Chapter 189 looks like a good place to look for it.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

North American should standardize it's vehicle equipment laws. We are all driving the same cars anyways, why should it be illegal in one place but a few miles away, over the line, it's perfectly legal?

You are still way safer than a motorcycle in any case; and that's my main issue with no-doors laws.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by echofoxtrot
North American should standardize it's vehicle equipment laws. We are all driving the same cars anyways, why should it be illegal in one place but a few miles away, over the line, it's perfectly legal?

You are still way safer than a motorcycle in any case; and that's my main issue with no-doors laws.

It has something to do with State's rights and the constitution.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ClimberPB1983
LOL!!!! Yeah the main place we go is climbing in the red river gorge. And there the moonshine is a must!

Thanks for the input!

I've been wheeling around that area but not at that new park they've apparently got. I have a friend that has land just outside of Stanton which is apparently a hop, skip and a whiskey jug away from the gorge.

And I know nothing about the off-road park they apparently set up. Perhaps that's the Jeep Jamboree spot they had.. not sure.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hig4s
It has something to do with State's rights and the constitution.
hahaha i was thinking the same thing.... there's a reason they can't just do that LOL
ok, well they can but it isn't always easy...
Old 02-03-2008, 06:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by davebloomer
hahaha i was thinking the same thing.... there's a reason they can't just do that LOL
ok, well they can but it isn't always easy...
Sure thing. Get California to agree to something first though.

Quick Reply: driving laws in KY