Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Driving from Orlando FL to San Diego CA.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving from Orlando FL to San Diego CA.

Its a 2500 mile long trip..gonna do it in april 21st, what should I expect along the road, I have a stock rubicon 2 door 2011 auto..stock tires I mean..just magnaflow cat-back, k&n intake , hid optilux 4" with quadratec mount taps on front bumper, hid fogs and headlights all 6000k, and its at 4100 miles atm. what should I do right before the trip? what should I get changed...what should I expect along the road..weather etc.. and what would be drive time I can drive 10-12 hours non stop, with just 3 hour naps in the jeep, thats my question...how long would it take me total? Has anybody done it before

Sorry for my english..

Last edited by RubiconEurope; 03-11-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:43 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Is this your first trip across the U.S.? I ask because your questions seem odd--as if traveling in an unfamiliar country. You should expect McDonalds and Love's and Burger King and Denny's and many more of the usual places along the road. That is if you chose to drive I-10/I-8.

But, why do that if time is not an issue? There are plenty of side roads that will take you in the general direction of San Diego (my home town, BTW). I really recommend at least U.S. 90 from Mobile, AL to New Orleans, LA. And maybe get off I-8 at Jacumba, CA and take Old U.S. Hwy 80 and Hwy 94 into San Diego. You're going to drive through Tucson and the Eastern Division of Saguaro National Park is not too far off the Interstate. Texas Canyon is a rest stop you don't want to miss (you won't--the rocks are on both sides of the Interstate).

You'll see signs forever for "The Thing". I've driven these roads dozens of times and never stopped to see it. I think the farthest sign is about 1,000 miles out. If you've got a day to spare, Carlsbad Canyon is accessible and that will take you right around Guadalupe Mountain National Park (watch out for the winds there--I've seen it in excess of 100 MPH!).

Weather in the spring can be quite nice, or you can run into some severe downpours. Be aware of the possibility of flash floods--they are real and literally in seconds a dry creek bed can become a five foot wall of water sweeping your Jeep away (You are taking the Jeep, aren't you? You mentioned something about a car, too.). You can expect heat in the deserts--especially Arizona and the Imperial Desert in California.

Speaking of the Imperial Desert: Shortly after entering California, you will see on both sides of I-8 the Imperial Dunes Recreation Area. Plenty of ATVs and Jeeps playing on those very large sand dunes. If you have a passport and decide to take Old U.S. 80/Hwy 94 into San Diego, you can make a quick stop at Tecate, Mexico. Have a beer and lunch and be back on your way. If you're into rocks, visit Rock Hound State Park near Deming, NM. Unlike most parks, they not only permit you to take rocks, they encourage it. They have plenty. Camp there overnight and you'll understand why they want them gone. LOL.

In Baton Rouge is a U.S. Navy vessel--not certain of the name, but it's really quite interesting and worth the visit. This is not along I-10, but rather along I-12. If you stay on I-10 the trip is a little longer than if you take this shortcut through Baton Rouge. But, if you do that you miss New Orleans (unless you took Hwy 90). Or, if you drive into New Orleans you'll see the Super Dome (Can't miss it along the Interstate), and you can take the Ponchartrain Bridge across the lake. It used to be the longest bridge around--in the world? Anyway, it's a big one--something like 23 miles across open lake. Of course, stay on I-10 east of New Orleans and you get some great, elevated views of the swampland. Very pretty part of the drive.

Oh, before you even get out of Florida, don't miss the U.S. Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. Great displays and it's all free. And the drive out along the beach is spectacular in this part of FL.

Gosh, this has run on.

Anyway, take a camera, take plenty of pic's, and don't be in some all-fired hurry to reach the destination. This is a beautiful country and take some time to enjoy yourself.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 03-11-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:18 AM
JK Freak

Wow, great response.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Is this your first trip across the U.S.? I ask because your questions seem odd--as if traveling in an unfamiliar country. You should expect McDonalds and Love's and Burger King and Denny's and many more of the usual places along the road. That is if you chose to drive I-10/I-8.

But, why do that if time is not an issue? There are plenty of side roads that will take you in the general direction of San Diego (my home town, BTW). I really recommend at least U.S. 90 from Mobile, AL to New Orleans, LA. And maybe get off I-8 at Jacumba, CA and take Old U.S. Hwy 80 and Hwy 94 into San Diego. You're going to drive through Tucson and the Eastern Division of Saguaro National Park is not too far off the Interstate. Texas Canyon is a rest stop you don't want to miss (you won't--the rocks are on both sides of the Interstate).

You'll see signs forever for "The Thing". I've driven these roads dozens of times and never stopped to see it. I think the farthest sign is about 1,000 miles out. If you've got a day to spare, Carlsbad Canyon is accessible and that will take you right around Guadalupe Mountain National Park (watch out for the winds there--I've seen it in excess of 100 MPH!).

Weather in the spring can be quite nice, or you can run into some severe downpours. Be aware of the possibility of flash floods--they are real and literally in seconds a dry creek bed can become a five foot wall of water sweeping your Jeep away (You are taking the Jeep, aren't you? You mentioned something about a car, too.). You can expect heat in the deserts--especially Arizona and the Imperial Desert in California.

Speaking of the Imperial Desert: Shortly after entering California, you will see on both sides of I-8 the Imperial Dunes Recreation Area. Plenty of ATVs and Jeeps playing on those very large sand dunes. If you have a passport and decide to take Old U.S. 80/Hwy 94 into San Diego, you can make a quick stop at Tecate, Mexico. Have a beer and lunch and be back on your way. If you're into rocks, visit Rock Hound State Park near Deming, NM. Unlike most parks, they not only permit you to take rocks, they encourage it. They have plenty. Camp there overnight and you'll understand why they want them gone. LOL.

In Baton Rouge is a U.S. Navy vessel--not certain of the name, but it's really quite interesting and worth the visit. This is not along I-10, but rather along I-12. If you stay on I-10 the trip is a little longer than if you take this shortcut through Baton Rouge. But, if you do that you miss New Orleans (unless you took Hwy 90). Or, if you drive into New Orleans you'll see the Super Dome (Can't miss it along the Interstate), and you can take the Ponchartrain Bridge across the lake. It used to be the longest bridge around--in the world? Anyway, it's a big one--something like 23 miles across open lake. Of course, stay on I-10 east of New Orleans and you get some great, elevated views of the swampland. Very pretty part of the drive.

Oh, before you even get out of Florida, don't miss the U.S. Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. Great displays and it's all free. And the drive out along the beach is spectacular in this part of FL.

Gosh, this has run on.

Anyway, take a camera, take plenty of pic's, and don't be in some all-fired hurry to reach the destination. This is a beautiful country and take some time to enjoy yourself.
Thank you for all the advice, and yes. I will be taking the Jeep I called it a car im sorry, my english sucks sometimes...Im from Turkey and I did a 12 hour non stop with my 4 door CRD rubicon before but this will be my longest which Is why I asked what to service I will be going through Texas though I have lotta friends there I will see on my way to the west coast

Last edited by RubiconEurope; 03-11-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RubiconEurope
my english sucks sometimes...
Your English, grammar and spelling is better than most who post on here
Old 03-11-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done Miami to San Francisco and back on a scooter with my wife. You will be fine in a Jeep.

Enjoy your trip, for me it is the most memorable road trip ever.

I took over 1,000 pictures, its something you can show the grandkids.

Make reservations ahead of time if you want to go to Alcatraz Island in SF and for any Vegas show.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Enclocal
Your English, grammar and spelling is better than most who post on here

X2!

The drive is pretty long and going though Texas is right on the way.

So far as maintenance, get a fresh oil change and make sure your air filter is cleaned and charged. The other maintenance depends on your JK's mileage. I think you said you have 4100 miles on it. If so, rotate the tires first and air them up so you get the best mileage possible.

Have fun!!!
Old 03-17-2011, 01:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm reconsidering it... I will only have from 20th of april to 1st of may, will that be enough time to get there than enjoy myself in san diego and come back?, return trip I dont have to sightsee, also am I going through any radar detector prohibited areas?, god...this will be a hard and exciting trip, but I want to do it, It will be the longest drive ever..I have factory garmin gps headunit, so routing wont be a problem...will they give me a hard time for the florida license plate..?
Old 03-17-2011, 03:41 AM
JK Freak

Thats another definition for the word courage. Talking a cross country road trip in a Chrysler product. If you make the trip enjoy.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just took my 2010 JK from NJ to Key West. Drove 10 hour days down I-95 and back. Not to mention all the driving we did there and along the way. All I had to do was adjust the tire air pressure twice and throw a splash of coolant in her. Oh and I refilled the washer fluid a million times and cracked the windshield but those are my fault!

Oh! the most important thing, I think, is to keep using good quality (and the same octane or higher) fuel. There will be some places that look like they are pumping dirty water into your tank! Stick with the name brand stuff.

I'm really happy with how the JK performed. I'm looking forward to another road trip soon!

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Driving from Orlando FL to San Diego CA.