Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dropped my door

Old 04-21-2019, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped my door

Long story short is my doors where stuck while trying to take them off and I dropped one. It now has a crease by the handle and the handle is pulled away from the door. Any ideas for a cheap and easy fix?

Old 04-21-2019, 01:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put some silicone in the gap between the handle and the door for now. Don’t want the door filing up with water.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:18 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Man, that sux royally. Not sure where Aurora is. Around here, PDR places can do miracles, but not certain what your area is like. I'd imagine even PDR wouldn't be super cheap though. For future reference, it does help to either put a little grease on the door hing pins, or install some Delrin bushings in the hinges. Sorry that happened to you.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I always wondered what would happen if I dropped a door. I just finished pulling and reinstalling my door handles, it's really not too bad. With the door card out and the handle out, you might be able to gently push that dent sort of back into place? I imagine a body shop would be the only place to really get it done right.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
I always wondered what would happen if I dropped a door. I just finished pulling and reinstalling my door handles, it's really not too bad. With the door card out and the handle out, you might be able to gently push that dent sort of back into place? I imagine a body shop would be the only place to really get it done right.
I've seen a lot of door crashes. The typical scenario is they thought it would be a good idea to use a floor jack under the door to remove it once they struggled to pull it off by hand.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I know this is too late given the OPs current situation but hindsight 20/20 it is worth posting.

To remove the doors follow these tricks of the trade.

1. Park on a flat level surface. Any incline/decline slope will place more pressure on the sides of the hinges where the door pins will push harder against the plastic sleeves. The plastic sleeves are your real enemy when removing the doors.

2. When lifting up on the doors, keep them closed as much as possible. Again more pressure on the pins when the doors are fully open.

3. If they don't come out on your 1st attempt. DO NOT USE A JACK UNDER THE DOOR TO TRY LIFTING THEM. Instead, spray some WD40 into the hinge pin area. Swing the door fully open/closed multiple times to help work the WD40 lubricant futher into the hinge

4. Go back to step 2 and repeat steps 2&3. The plastic which is bound up inside the hinge will unbind once enough WD40 lubricant works it's way between the pin and the plastic.

5. If that fails....which it hasn't for me then you may want to consider using a floor jack or other methods to increase the pressure, but 1st put the botton nuts back on loosely to prevent the door from flying out of the hinge when it lets loose.

6. After you get the doors off, then do yourself a favor to avoid this same situation in the future and take a pair of needle nose plier and dig those plastic sleeves out of the hinge. You could replace them with duraline sleeves but I choose to just greese up the pins instead. Cheaper and ensures no binding.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-25-2019 at 02:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Dropped my door