Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Drove a diesel wrangler today........

Old 12-29-2006, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drove a diesel wrangler today........

I have been lurking around here for a few months now, trying to decide weather or not to wait for a diesel unlimited, or get the gas engine now. Today I had a chance to drive a 2007 wrangler with a diesel, and I have decided to wait. The diesel seemed to accelerate better than the gas one, and when the turbo spooled up it was way better! It was definitely the power needed for bigger tires.
The big question is when they are going to offer it?

The wait is going to be torture....
Old 12-29-2006, 01:45 PM
JK Freak

The reason it is not avail in US is because it does not meet E standards.

Jeep will need to put a whole new D engine in it - I have read that they are working on it, but it won't be released until 2009 or 2010.

But who knows...
Old 12-29-2006, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

The one I drove was a U.S model. I should know more about the release date in a few more days.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Where was this Jeep? City, State, Dealership?
Old 12-29-2006, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Unless the vehicle had Manufacturers plates, I will have to call BS.

Furthermore, DC cannot build enough of the gas JK's, think of the added demand a diesel would create.

If you did drive one, it was not a US model.

Post photos and make me a liar.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

Default Maybe...

Maybe it was a after market conversion or a factory mule. Biff could be a little more definitive with how he came to drive one and it's origin. I'm just not a diesel guy but it seems a lot of people love oil burners.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jpaddict
Unless the vehicle had Manufacturers plates, I will have to call BS.

Furthermore, DC cannot build enough of the gas JK's, think of the added demand a diesel would create.

If you did drive one, it was not a US model.

Post photos and make me a liar.
It was in the Detroit area Michigan. It did have manufacture plates on it. Pictures of what? it was a dirty flat black piece of shit, with tape and wires everywhere. The only thing european on it was the 2.8 italian made turbo charged diesel.
You can call it bull shit or whatever you like. The only reason I posted this was to give some hope to anyone else waiting for more power.
They cant make enough of them? how do you know? I have been around the auto industry for many years, and I cant remember a company who could'nt make enough of anything. Several dealers in the Detroit area have unlimiteds in stock, so there is no shortage in this part of the country.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:11 PM
JK Freak

There are a couple of Mule Diesels - one is black - remember the photo in Vegas with the guy with his dirty foot on the door!

However, this engine was illegal in US but was being tested for the European/Aussie market.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

they can make enough just not fast enough

From The Toledo Blade:

Despite operating six 20-hour days a week on overtime for more than two months, DaimlerChrysler AG's new Jeep Wrangler plant can't keep up with demand.

So, starting this weekend, the North Toledo plant partially run by suppliers will add occasional Sundays to its production schedule to help fill about 59,000 pending Wrangler orders from customers and dealers, mostly for the four-door Unlimited model, union and company officials said yesterday.

Those orders represent roughly three quarters of the total number of Wranglers sold nationwide last year.

"We've got a good problem," Dan Henneman, chairman of United Auto Workers Local 12's Jeep unit, told The Blade yesterday.

It's great to see some good sales news coming out of Chrysler Group - especially considering it's due to the new Wrangler. We're looking forward to checking out the November sales numbers when they come out in a few days.

Be sure to check out the entire article.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Will they be available in 08?

Quick Reply: Drove a diesel wrangler today........