Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Duster/Deck Cover?

Old 06-29-2007, 05:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duster/Deck Cover?

I was waiting for them to come out with one for the 4 door. Bestop now has them but especially after my nightmare in getting the Safari top I wanted to wait a while. I have been looking at them and pricing them so I know where to get the best deal however every one they offer requires the factory tailgate bar. UMMM Okay I don't have one. I have a hardtop and not a softtop. So far the only way I see to order one is through the dealer and I don't even want to know how much it will be if it can even be ordered. Can anyone show me what this piece looks like and how it installs so I can see if maybe I can fabricate one? Does anyone have any suggestions to getting one aftermarket? Is there another option? Girls who sew (and guys) do you think we could make something simmilar using some supports bolted in where the hardtop goes using cross members and maybe some elastic for the tailgate and other places? (My wife sews but has not looked at this yet and always is open to suggestions) I am not looking for security but rather some rain protection. The safari top runs off into the bed and it gets soaked while the rest stays pretty dry in those sudden storms. I know pull carpet and duraline it but I like the carpet for the dogs to lay on when they go with us and reinstalling it every time is out.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

If the tailgate bar is similar to the TJ's then...

It is a flat'ish bar that spans the tailgate opening. It has an 'open' metal tube on it. You slide a 'round' piece from the duster cover into and the metal tube. This is how it attaches. Then the duster is installed in the bed rails and the tailgate bar is installed above the tailgate opening in the stock mounts. Once the tailgate is shut it seals the rear end off just like the softop would.

If you look at the end of the tailgate bar you kind of see this:
O

That 'O' has an opening running the entire length of the bar. The duster cover basically has a plastic tubing sewed into the edge and you insert that into the 'O'.
I know with the TJ you need to have the factory clips on the tub rail installed for the bar to insert into. You only get those with a softop model.

Now that you have read all of that and are confused maybe someone else can post actual pictues. Not that there is anything wrong with my depiction, real pictures might be better.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey look what I found. Here is the TJ tailgate bar:

The 2 smaller brackets mount to the tub rail on each side of the tailgate opening. The bar the slides into those.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:02 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

(3) Bar (given i looked up the right part)... $38.88
(4) Right (Passenger Side) Retainer clip.... $4.94
(4) Left (Drivers Side) Retainer clip.......... $4.88

.................................................. .......... $48.70
Old 06-29-2007, 09:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon

(3) Bar (given i looked up the right part)... $38.88
(4) Right (Passenger Side) Retainer clip.... $4.94
(4) Left (Drivers Side) Retainer clip.......... $4.88

.................................................. .......... $48.70
Thanks Happy. Now I know what the overall cost would be to do this more or less with the proper parts and such ordered. Time to get creative because I think I can make something that while it may not be as good as the bestop/DC part combo at least it will not be $180 total (more or less) and still shed some rain. I got caught out in it today and the back got wet agian. It drys out in the heat we have but I would like to keep it as dry as possible to extend the life of the carpet yet still run w/o doors and top. Saw a guy today no top in the rain and I think he had as much water on the inside of the window as outside.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tjworld
Hey look what I found. Here is the TJ tailgate bar:

The 2 smaller brackets mount to the tub rail on each side of the tailgate opening. The bar the slides into those.
Thanks this along with Happy's info will help. Not sure yet how to fabricate something but I know I will come up with it sooner or later. I am not paying $180 (more or less) just to keep the carpet dry. I can get one of the "trunks" which allows for more secure storage for not a whole lot more and it will do the same job and more or so I understand. I think it is time to start looking at a framework and letting the wife sew unless I make something out of sheet metal......... Dang it here I go with a world of ideas and I wanted to make this a weekend project because of the rain tommorow.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Your best bet and easiest is to get the duster cover and then fab something to 'seal' it at the tailgate.

If you want to fab from scratch, I have a duster for my TJ if you want some high res pics to give you an idea, let me know.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tjworld
Your best bet and easiest is to get the duster cover and then fab something to 'seal' it at the tailgate.

If you want to fab from scratch, I have a duster for my TJ if you want some high res pics to give you an idea, let me know.
Yes I was thinking that. But I want to see if I can come up with something on my own. I kind of got it in my head now and if i give in and order it would be admitting defeat. Besides if the wife decides it's too hard then we may go with the more secure option which is what I realy want because it would be nice to be able to lock things up while shopping several stores as I like to do all my runs in one trip and get it over with.
Thanks for the offer of the pics but I think I get the idea and I am gonna look at the install guide from the Bestop website just to make sure I understand. Hell I might just say screw it and pull the carpet then line it but I want to toy with a few ideas first.

Quick Reply: Duster/Deck Cover?