Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Easy Hardtop Hoist

Old 01-06-2007, 11:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you actually do this before you posted it? Others may try it, what if something happens to their hardtop? Specifics and pics are needed.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wladziu
I'm sorry--I didn't really count how many write-ups either of you have posted. After you've finished one, I'll be there to comment on your writing style, also.

If there's a solution that you prefer, then feel free to use it. I'll take your shitty comment, moderator, as your way of saying, "Thank you for the write-up, Wladzui. Even though I don't like the idea, I'm glad you're trying to help the community. I wasn't at all trying to rape your thread, and thereby showing a bad example for you and others, since I do my job so well."
Dude, if you felt malice from the mod's post you have serious issues. As for me, I'm not a moderator, but I can refer you to other threads where people are just as tired of this attempt at bullying as I am. Just for you, I'll be sure to post all my write-ups in iambic pentameter with proper grammar.

What happened to this being a friendly forum? Something changed about three days ago.

Last edited by HUMONGO; 01-07-2007 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wladziu
This write-up is reserved for people who understand english, magnetism, and the operation of a rope and pulley. Extremely difficult.

It's an absolute pleasure to see people struggle with this concept. I've created a gene-pool filter.

"Higher capacity materials" is smart-people-talk for "stronger magnets". That's why I gave you links, so you could look it up yourselves. The whole "lead a horse to water" thing.

Edit:
Oops, better add that stronger pulleys exist, also.
my understanding of English is good my use in writing not so good.as far as the use of magnetism it scares me because i do not want to see you drop break or hurt your hard top.I have a big magnet form harbor fright the works great when flat against metal but give it a little tiwst....also gluing metal to my hard top?i think you need to spread the weight /load out more to keep the top from wrapping(see i can think)

It's just that when i take my hard top off it scares the hell out of me that i might drop it.but thats to be expected from the low end of the gene pool
Old 01-07-2007, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Plus, the magnets/steel plates would optimally be located at the corners to equally distribute the weight. Unless the pulleys are located at exactly 90 deg. angles, there would be a shearing force created when lifting that would pull the magnet away, thus dropping the top.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:24 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

As entertaining as the banter has been on this thead, I have since moved it to JK Talk due to the fact that the original post was in regards to a theoretical write-up that is still open to disccussion and not an actual one, yet. And, the specific purpose of the Write-Up forum was to provide just that, write-ups of specific installations and creative solutions that have been physically done and tested for others to learn from.

Wladziu, once you've completed your hoist (and I sincerely do hope that you do), I will either move this thread back or would encourage you to post your write-up again in the Write-Up forum.

In the mean time, I would be grateful if we could do away with the pissing match and try to keep this on topic by posting ligitimate Q&A's. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Eddie
Old 01-07-2007, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

OK, legitimate question. Is this proposed to have only 1 magnet? You stated that the central balance point needs to be found. What about magnets in all the corners? What about using this method to easily lift the top, then secure it permanently with straps?
Old 01-07-2007, 10:41 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by HUMONGO
OK, legitimate question. Is this proposed to have only 1 magnet? You stated that the central balance point needs to be found. What about magnets in all the corners? What about using this method to easily lift the top, then secure it permanently with straps?
Good question. The hard top weighs about 100 lbs. and even though one powerful magnet might do the job, I think it would make more sense to distribute the weight over 4 magnets (25 lbs. a piece). That would put a lot less stress on any one point on the top and do the job just as well.

Last edited by wayoflife; 01-07-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Good question. The hard top weight about 100 lbs. and even though one powerful magnet would do the job, it would make more sense to distribute the weight over 4 magnets (25 lbs. a piece). That would put a lot less stress on any one point on the top and do the job just as well.
This method would also prevent cracking.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

You got me thinking so i took my 100 lbs harbor fright magnet out and put it one of my hurricane shutters and lifted up no problem.but pulling on a 45 deg angle it starts to lose hold so more pulleys puling straight up will work better but now you most be able to hoist all at the same rate to keep the all magnets level and no lose hold.then i took a hurricane panel and set it on top of my hard top and put the magnet inside the jeep on the roof(single ply part)the magnet could hold it self up but not much more with the layer of hard top in between.so you will need much more powerful magnets to make this work and a pulley system that can rise 4 points(maybe more) evenly at one time and know most parts of the hard top are 2 ply so you have even less area to deal with or need much much stronger magnets or for $199.99 you could buy a hoist.

I will play with your idea some more and let you know what i find.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Yes, I was brash in posting this thing without photos of it in operation.

I left the original post so open because I assumed it would be welcomed as an original idea with room for personalization and improvement. I was hoping that writing it so crudely would spark thought among individuals unhappy with the current systems, who are willing to experiment to achieve something better.

Photos will be posted. Thanks for your work on this idea, tolh13. I was sort of expecting the magnets to come loose at an angle, that's why I stuck with the idea of a single one. A multiple magnet system would need a truss with magnets at the corners, in order to lift each one simultaneously. That, or having each of the lines tied into something like a single overhead winch. It strays from my original idea of a single simple magnet, and tolh13 has shown that 100 lbs is not enough.
Perhaps using another 100 pounder inside the top, instead of metal, would give more staying power. The magnet would have to be removed from the housing, as I believe the ones at HF all have the polarities facing the same direction.

Whatever. Have fun flaming away at this.

And, yes, Humongo, securing the top afterward with straps would be fine. I wanted a way of picking this thing up by myself, quickly and safely, without having to screw any hooks into the top. Believe it or not, I welcome criticism on the idea and thoughts on how to improve it. I don't want to cause anyone's hardtop to shatter anymore than I want to break my own. I've given ALOT of thought to this thing, and my reputation is on the line for it.

Quick Reply: Easy Hardtop Hoist