Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Electrical and Shifter Problem

Old 08-18-2013, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical and Shifter Problem

I'm curious if anyone has had similar problems. I posted this in the WF as well. Today I went to start my JK X (2007/auto) and found I could not shift out of park. With the help of a few internet searches I discovered the problem is most likely a broken plastic push rod in the shifter (I haven't pulled it apart yet to confirm). I have electrical issues in the Jeep as well. When I turned on the vehicle the headlights came on and do not turn off. Also only the stereo lights up and works, the instrument cluster lights are completely out, the horn, blinkers and wipers do not work too. I've disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes and no changes happened. I've checked the fuses and don't see one that is blown. I don't see how these issues can be related in any way. Does anyone have any thoughts? One more thing, it's been raining for 2 days and both doors leak (what a shock). I've read about possible grounding issues with water leaking in bad places but I haven't had more water inside than what it usually gets. For now I pulled it into the garage using a screwdriver. I'm welcome to anyone's thoughts and ideas or previous experiences. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2013, 09:28 PM
JK Freak

Your electric problem sounds like a bad clock spring that runs all your electronics including your air bags. It's in your steering column an looks like a ink ribbon. I think there pretty expensive an a pita to change.

Look into that on some threads an see what you can find out.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mook8651
Your electric problem sounds like a bad clock spring that runs all your electronics including your air bags. It's in your steering column an looks like a ink ribbon. I think there pretty expensive an a pita to change.

Look into that on some threads an see what you can find out.
I will look into that. Thank you! I checked them out online and found a Mopar one for about $200 on Amazon. Maybe they are manageable to install by myself. I've heard mechanics charge $600 for the whole job. Thanks again!
Old 08-19-2013, 03:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

The tipm module may be going bad that controls all the electrical components of the jeep
Old 08-19-2013, 03:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you have a bad batt. Or not making good contact it will do crazy things like that
Old 08-19-2013, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DonP
The tipm module may be going bad that controls all the electrical components of the jeep
One thing that just came to mind is that last Thursday I went to the car wash and sprayed down the underside of the jeep because I live along the coast. I only aimed toward the axles, suspension and the muddy bumpers but perhaps some water got to the TIPM somehow? I've read a bit about grounding issues also. Seems strange that people can drive through water needing a snorkel but I may have messed up the electrical at a car wash? I've found similar problems that others have had and they either replaced the clock spring or TIPM. Both seem to cause very closely related problems. Do you any thoughts on the clock spring?
Old 08-19-2013, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

I called Chrysler and they informed me that I have an extended warranty covering the clock spring specifically. They said that sounds like the issue. I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer now. If anyone does have an issue with either of these definitely call Chrysler and check with them. Nothing was addressed about this when they first check my VIN or in the recall section. I had to specifically mention the TIPM and clock spring.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know it will make the horn cruise control abs traction control bas lights and if you have audio controls on the steering wheel it will work intermittently or not at all I have had the tipm replaced two or three times. My jeep has always had electrical problems

Quick Reply: Electrical and Shifter Problem