Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Engine loss

Old 04-04-2018, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine loss

Hey guys. I'm having an issue with my 2012 unlimited sahara. When I'm driving along the jeep will all of a sudden drop 500rpm. Or if I'm idling at a red light the engine will just die. The jeep starts fine and it will regain the 500rpm really quick.
I also noticed that when it drops the rpm the music I'm playing will go slow mo, the wipers will slow down if they're on at the time and the headlights dim or flicker.

I was thinking the fuel pump at first but then I noticed the electrical issues.

Thoughts?

thanks guys
Old 04-04-2018, 05:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Have you checked the health of your battery?
Old 04-05-2018, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Have you checked the health of your battery?

I haven't. I will check that.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2018, 06:34 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jon3084
I haven't. I will check that.

Thanks
Also check that the battery connections are tight and clean. It has been well established that our jeeps do strange things if they don't get the expect zero power from the battery. My dash, speedo, and tach went crazy when my battery in my 2012 died a sudden death at about 2 yrs old. I'd be amazed if you still have the original batter in yours. They are known to be crappy batteries.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Also check that the battery connections are tight and clean. It has been well established that our jeeps do strange things if they don't get the expect zero power from the battery. My dash, speedo, and tach went crazy when my battery in my 2012 died a sudden death at about 2 yrs old. I'd be amazed if you still have the original batter in yours. They are known to be crappy batteries.
Yeah i still have the original. I never knew that they weren't good batteries. Thanks for the heads up
Old 04-05-2018, 07:55 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jon3084
Yeah i still have the original. I never knew that they weren't good batteries. Thanks for the heads up
You may have the record. Tons of posts on here of people like me with 2012's where the battery died within 3 years. I replaced with a walmart battery and it's been fine ever since. In fact, my 2012 now has 100,000 miles. The short life of the stock battery is about the only thing I can really complain about.

Quick Reply: Engine loss